Thread: Columbus, OH Woodwerks Winter Expo

Columbus, OH Woodwerks Winter Expo

Well I just got back from the Winter Expo at Woodwerks in Columbus, OH; and I'm curious if there were any other attendees.

My brief thoughts, as this was my first time attending any event like this, are this:

1. I understand the clear difference between those who enjoy woodworking as a profession and those who are hobbyists, I would expect the employees of a business to recognize that as well.

2. While most of the patronage today was 2-3 times my senior, my age came in to question by two separate company reps, who promptly turned away from me and initiated conversations with older customers. As such, I left empty handed and they have lost a customer.

3. It's inexcusable for salesmen at an event such as this to be unfamiliar with the products they are displaying or demonstrating.

4. This is a hobby that rivals hunting or bass fishing for the prevalence of new gadgets, while the fundamentals seem to be lost. I went looking for a new marking gage and spokeshave. First, I had to draw a picture of a wheeled marking gage for a salesman, second I was informed they don't sell either item... odd.

I don't mean to be a Debbie-Downer, but I was a little disappointed with the event, any thoughts from anyone else that attended?

That sounds about right.

I didn't go to that event, but I went to a WoodWerks show last year, and it was rather sad. The Woodworking Shows events are pretty similar, but may be improving slightly.

Location does matter with these. There are definitely some places in the country that have much better shows. Others not so much. In general, these shows have been declining for years. Fewer vendors show up. The Internet and the economy play big roles there, among other factors. I have seen some indications that things are trying to improve this year. I will see when the show makes it to my area.

These shows are sometimes an interesting way to spend a couple hours, and may give you a chance to get your hands on a tool and try it out. Don't expect to learn anything. Don't expect to get any better deals than you can get on the Internet. Don't expect to find much in the way of hand tools, or practically any tool you can't find at the BORG.

Ryan, I assume you mean a Woodworks show (the travelling show.)

A group of 7 of us just got back from a trip down to Columbus. We hit Woodwerks (the store) first and spent about 3 hours there. I think it was the better show and definitely better pricing. No gimmicky sales pitches for stinky cleaning products either. We then went over to The Woodworking show and spent about 2 hours. I spent more money at the latter, but what I bought wasn't a deal per se, but they had it. However it was a fun day going as a group, even the 3 hours each way in the car.

Pete,
    Was it at the WoodWerks store off of Taylor station rd?

If so that is a shame you had a bad time with them there. I go there offten to buy supplies for my cabinet shop and they are always good to most every one I see them deal with and me.

They are a bit over priced on a lot of stuff but sometimes I need a special something and they typically have it.

Nick

Yeah, it was the store over in Gahanna. I don't want to trash the store itself; I just had a very poor impression of the industry representatives that attended.

As for the store itself, it seemed nice enough. However, as is typical, the employees will often ignore me, preferring the more venerable patronage. Never thought I would be complaining of ageism at 25...

Must have been reps from the manufacturers, not the store employees. The store employees have always been pleasant in my dealings. I always enjoy a trip to WoodWerks as there is always something to see. I am headed to the WW show at the fairgrounds in the morning. Less crowded on Sunday.

In my experiences at WoodWerks, you are correct Pete.
    They seem to ignore the people that aren't regular, possibly professional, customers. I have not enjoyed shopping there for that reason, and, basically don't for that same reason. And, that reason kept me away from their "winter expo".
    Keim Lumber in Berlin has a very friendly atmosphere and knowledgeable sales people, possibly greater inventory, and I plan my trips there in advance.
    As to the Columbus Woodworking show at the fairgrounds,,,,,,I'll most likely not go to another. That was a loss of valuable shop time for me.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Watch this comment, as it is likely the source of the problem:

I don't need to go to their store when prices online are often better. The knowledge base and opinions are far wider and often deeper. As for materials, I buy from the mill that supplies both Woodwerks and Woodcraft, at least for domestics.

Just another example of the need to have a virile and adaptive business plan in every situation.

I attended both the Woodwerks store show and The Woodworking Show yesterday. I was a little dissappointed with the Kreg rep as he was very rarely near his tools. The reps for Woodpeckers were excellent. They showed me how to use every tool I was looking at and answered all of my questions.

When comparing both shows, the Woodwerks was much better for pricing. I saved on average 15% over the prices at the show. Show prices were very close to published prices.

I'm happy I went to both as I always try to hit some of the free seminars at The Woodworking Shows. I would love to see them join up and create one monster show but doubt that'll happen.

Pete, I know what you mean about getting disregarded because of your age. I started woodworking at age 14. Trying to get a salesman to give me the time of day back then was nearly impossible. I'm 33 now and haven't felt like I was being snubbed due to my age for at least 10 years.

Wes

We've been trying to contact Kreg about doing a demo of the beaded faceframe system for our club and talked to the rep there. He told us flat out he isn't a woodworker but a businessman. He mentioned he also reps Whiteside so I suspect he isn't a Kreg employee. I'm sure he's really good at his regular job but he just wasn't the right guy for Kreg to have at this type of event. The Peachtree employees in the Kreg booth at the fairgrounds were doing a much better job of selling their products.

I'm not sure who the reps from Woodpecker were, but my understanding is that they send their regular employees out to shows. I know that one guy from our club met the president at the Osh Kosh air show and his wife was at their booth at the fairgrounds.

My impression of the Woodwerks guys themselves has always been that they are just letting me shop and browse. When I've had a question its never been hard to get help. But I've probably only been there 8 times in 5 years, both for the shows and on a regular day. Luckily they aren't closer or I'd be there a lot more.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-17-2010 at 9:53 AM.