Thread: Finish inside of end table?

Finish inside of end table?

I'm in the dry fitting stage of a bow front end table project and wondering if I should put a finish on the inside of the end table.

Advice is solicited.

Here's a few photos of the end table in the dry fitting stage. The top (not in pictures) is almost finished - I only need to router an ogee edge.
    Photobucket pics: http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q309/...nt=dsc02855.jpg

Thanks in advance . . . .

Billbo
    Smyrna, GA

You can put finish on unseen parts of furniture, but it isn't necessary. Humidity exchange with the atmosphere happens with or without the finish.

My preference would be to leave it unfinished or to apply one or two coats, at the most, of furniture polish.

Very nice looking table. You did a fine job of the grain selection on the front of it. Please do post photos of the finished piece.

Best Wishes,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I have read very often that what you do to one side of a piece of wood, you should do to the other. I have done enough furniture repair and antique restoration to know that a finish on the inside or underside was and is rarely done. I generally only treat both sides if I am using veneers or plastic laminate. If the surfaces are easy to get to, I might give it some finish but not necessarily.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Depends on the customer. Some are pickier than others.