Thread: Segmented Bowl

Segmented Bowl

Well, here is my fifth attempt at segmenting. I'm getting better, my joints are good and tight both between segments and rings. I worked hard and long fine turning my table saw sled to cut true angles (at least at 15 degrees) and I am careful to make sure that each and every ring is flat before glueing. What ya think?

Oh, it has a diameter of 11 1/2 inches and a hight of 4 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Bulloch; 01-17-2010 at 7:44 PM. Reason: Add diameter

Bill that is a beauty. Really nice form and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very fine work!

Your sittin' and thinkin' shor 'nough seems to dood it!

Hi Bill,

Nice piece. It is hard to built something with such contrast and keep everything aligned, as anything out of whack really shows. It looks like you did a fine job.

Only negative comment is that the bottom is almost sure to crack and separate from the bowl the way that you have built it. No matter which way the wood moves, there is no place for it to "give" any. I use a floating disc in all the pieces I do, but if you did not want to go that route, a solid bottom would end up being more stable than segmenting it all together like you have it. It may be counter-intuitive to what you would think, but time will tell.

Good luck with your next project!

Bill - I haven't done any segmented stuff yet - but I really like the contrasting colors in this one! Hope the bottom holds together for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think it's beautiful. Nice work.

Impressive Bill. What woods did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Only negative comment is that the bottom is almost sure to crack and separate from the bowl the way that you have built it. No matter which way the wood moves, there is no place for it to "give" any. I use a floating disc in all the pieces I do, but if you did not want to go that route, a solid bottom would end up being more stable than segmenting it all together like you have it. It may be counter-intuitive to what you would think, but time will tell.
    Even though I only made one segmented piece years ago, that was my thought too when I saw the bottom. Of course I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

Great piece and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Nice piece Bill, but +1 what Robert said. The bottom is fairly small diameter, and a single, solid piece would serve better.
    Richard in Wimberley

Pretty piece. Your hard work sure paid off...Bill..

Very Nice

Looks like you have this figured out fairly well. It looks fantastic. Now it's time to move on to open segmented turnings.

Mike