Thread: oil vs oilless brad nailer?

oil vs oilless brad nailer?

I'm deciding between the PC BN200A oil and PC BN200B oilless 18 gauge brad nailers. It seems to make sense to go with the newer BN200B oilless, but I'm concerned that this is a newer product and I'm wondering what downside there may be to an oilless brad nailer. Are there any reasons to avoid an oilless nailer?

Thanks!
    Scott
    Last edited by scott vroom; 01-18-2010 at 1:28 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have owned a number of Porter Cable nailers, and have been happy with them. However, I recently picked up a P/C combo kit that had a stapler, 18# brad nailer (BN138C), and 16# nailer (BN250C). These were the new oil-less versions. I considered the new nailers to be a much lower quality level as compared to my older Porter Cable nailers. I have a BN138A to compare to, and there is a world of difference to the BN138C. They carry "almost" the same model number, but they are completely different designs. A lot more plastic in the "C" version, and the slide action of the magazine was very stiff on my unit.

I returned the PC stuff, and bought Bostich. ...so far, I'm happy with that.

I don't know anything specific about the BN200C.

Well, I've never had any experience with the older Porter-Cable models, but a few months ago I bought both the newer BN200B oilless brad nailer and the newer FN250C (It's not BN250C, it's FN250C) oilless finish nailer, and to me, they're both excellent nailers. Since I never used the older models, I can't comment on the difference in them, but I can't find any fault with either of these newer ones, and I like the fact that they don't require oil.
    Last edited by Louis Brandt; 01-18-2010 at 2:23 PM. Reason: add text

Oops, my apologies ...I got my model numbers mixed up. I was comparing a PC BN125A to a BN138 oil-less nailer. They are both the shorter version 18 gauge nailers. It's the BN138 that I wasn't pleased with.

As a finish carpenter I use brad nailers all day, everyday.
    I have used Senco (18,20 and 25), bostitch, paslode and PC.

Now all I use are PC BN200's.
    I have 2 of them. I have used them constantly for 2-3 years now. I have only oiled them once and that was when I first got them. 2 plus years, 10's of thousands of rounds and I have NEVER replaced a part on them. I can also count the misfires on one hand (probably could if I didn't have fingers too) and that is both guns. I also have the narrow crown staple gun (150 I think) and have never had a single misfire.
    I used Senco's before PC. I had to rebuild them 1-2 times a year. Maybe because I didn't oil them. I don't know.

I paid $90 for my BN200's, half what I paid for each Senco.

I have not used, or seen (on the jobsite) the new PC's. Don't have a reason too.

BN200's are one of the best buys in woodworking.

Thanks to all for your responses. I just ordered the PC BN200B oilless.

Scott
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.