Thread: Bandsaw : Bad blade or setup

Bandsaw : Bad blade or setup

Its been quite awhile sence I have used my bandsaw and I can seem to get a blade to run true.
    It seems to waver back and forth (not on the tires) Like the blade itself is bent or twisted. Do I need to readjust my guides to compesate for the blade?
    Are there any good articles on the web to aid me in setting up my saw so this doesn't happen?
    Will a different set of guide blocks make any difference.
    The Bandsaw is a Jet 14" 3/4 hp.

Jim

Have you tried a different blade? A bad weld will cause a condition like you're describing.

Jim,

It sounds like maybe your blade developed a "memory" of the bandwheels while being parked so long. The ways to avoid this are either detentioning or removing and coiling the blade when not using it for long periods.

Jim,

Latest FWW has a great article that might help. Basically, they adjust the wheel tracking until the blade runs true and then leave it there. Never would have thought to do that. It might help.

Good luck.

Jack

Swap the blade

The quickest way to see if it is a bad blade is to replace the blade. That saw should use a very standard blade available at most of the big box stores. Try a new blade before you start fiddling with anything else.

I bought the new delta 18" saw and was convinced that it had some serious problems with the blade wandering in anything I cut. Since it uses 136" blades, they were not available locally. I finally got some replacement blades and once I swapped out the factory supplied blade, it was like night and day. Good luck with the saw.