Thread: Purple Heart

Purple Heart

Hello all,

I have a question about Purple Heart wood. I've never used it before but I'm thinking of implementing it into a sofa table that I'm designing. The question is; does it turn brown and lose it's color when exposed to sunlight like Padauk does. Does it have to be kept out of sunlight to preserve it's natual color? I bought a piece a few years ago from a local fellow and just remembered that I have it and thought I'd use it possibly. I'm inclined to think that it does change to a muted brown when exposed.

any thoughts are appreciated

thank you
    Ben

2. Actually.... It gets more purple with sunlight...

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...urpleheart.htm

Scott - great link - thanks.

What finish will preserve the color? I like to use ultra pale dewaxed shellac - thoughts on that?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

4. Welcome... And just in case anyone wonders, there are TONS of wood pictures and information there.

Far as finishing goes.. I'll let someone else chime in on that one..

I've never used anything but wax on purpleheart, but then I've never incorporated it into anything that I've ever built. Only turned it. I can't see any sort of coating adding anything to it, except for protection, so I'd use something as water-white as practical.

I use purpleheart as an accent stripe in cutting boards. It is a great contrast to walnut and maple. I use salad bowl finish (basically an oil finish) and have never had problems with it changing color. It really "pops" when finished.

Scott,

I've never seen that site before, thank you. As someone said that is an amazing site. To all the others that replied thank you also. I guess I'll have to incorporate that Purple Heart into this table then. It will how ever see some sun. But not direct or constant mostly indirect sunlight. I'm thinking of finishing it with catalyized lacquer. I'll see what the UV protection ratings are for that but I'm confindent all of those products are pretty good with regards to UV protection these days.

thank you fellows

Ben

Years ago when my oldest graduated from college I made a frame for his diploma using oak and purple heart to match his school colors. The oak was stained golden oak as his school colors were gold and purple. He is 38 now and the frame still looks as good as the day I made it. It is finished with shellac.

Bob