Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mlcs router bits

mlcs router bits

has anyone bought router bits from mlcs ?what are your thoghts ? karl

I got their 15pc set as a way to have a variety of bits on hand. They have produced a nice clean cut so far. I doubt they will hold up as well in the longterm, but I plan to replace my heavy use bits with higher quality. That being said, in terms of pure value, they're hard to beat and a great way for a learning/cash-strapped woodworker to acquire a variety of bits.

I'll probably be getting an upspiral bit and a plywood straight set from them shortly.

Bought a set to have as my first router bits, probably 15 years ago. Also bought their plywood set. Not the best in the world, they get dull fairly fast and rust quickly. I wouldn't bother again, I now buy bits as I need them and not as part of a set anymore. I never used at least half of them anyway. I buy Freud or Bosch bits individually.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I bought their edge banding bit set last year. I think the quality is good. It isn't Whiteside, but it isn't your off the shelf BORG brand either! There is nice carbide on all the bits, and they have two different levels of quality with the bits. There is the regular MLCS bits, and then the have the upgraded Katana bits. I plan on buying many more bits from them in the future!
    I didn't do it.....YET!

MLCS /KATANA router bits

Karl. MLCS has two grades of router bits Katana is there quality line. I have used both and no complaints. Be aware if you purchase bits with bearings the mounting screws are different sizes. I would suggest 1/2 inch shafts and I only buy the bits I need not sets. I now buy mostly Whiteside or Bosch bits. Jim Gerus

I've never had any problems with MLCS products.

I have several MLCS bit. Good stuff.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Not my first choice in bits, but have a few.

Quote Originally Posted by KARL BECKER View Post
    has anyone bought router bits from mlcs ?what are your thoghts ? karl
    I have bought several bits. Great prices, OK quality/life. Definately great for the one-off use. Not quite good enough for regular use. In short, I would say their prices are lower than their quality. I don't hesitate to buy from them. (P.S. free CONUS shipping is a plus)

The regular solid carbide (spiral) bits definately don't last as long as their Katana brand.

Recently bought their 8mm dovetail bits for my Leigh jig. Very happy with the results.

thanks for all your replys ,ill half to dig into there catalog deeper on the katana bits thanks again to all karl

Blog Entries
    I have their 15 piece set & several individual bits, very happy with them. I've also spoken to their technical people a couple of times & they were very helpful. I'll buy from them again
    Dennis

I have one of the 30-something piece sets and for getting started I think it was a great value. There's a few bits I've replaced with better brands (mostly Whiteside when I can get them in time) but now I know what I do and don't use for less than the cost of a tiny set of Whiteside bits would have cost me--and there would be bits in THAT set I wouldn't use!

KAtana bits are excellent. The MCLS bits are pretty good.

I have a 15 piece set that has been working great. Btw, MCLS is having a sale on 6 spiral bits set for $99 including one katana upcut.