Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Blower

Harbor Freight Blower

My blower is on the way out. I have to hit the side of it a few times to make it turn on.

I ordered another from HF and it got lost in transit to FedEx. Now I'm being told it's on back order. No ETA from them. Anyone else having problems with HF these days?

Here's the questions:

Question #1 - I see that the manual says something about replacing the brushs. I took out the side retaining screws and I can't figure out how to get them out.

Question #2 - Once I get them out where do I find replacement ones?
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

I saw replacement brushes in lowes or H/D the other day in those specialty draws they have. Not sure if they would be right might be worth checking out
    Epilog Legend EXT 60w-Corel X4
    Skype me .

There's a lot more good than evil,
    and there's a lot more joy than pain.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil:
    for thou art with me;
    thy rod and thy staff
    they comfort me."

If the hardware store doesn't have them, you may have to go to an electric motor shop but they will likely be able to match you up with something close if you bring in the old ones. Sometimes you will have to tweak the size a bit (i.e file them down) to match the size.

I ordered replacement brushes directly from Harbor Freight.

I was in Harbor Freight on tuesday they had 3 on shelf. In Metarie, LA.

I got a great deal on a air eraser (pen type sandblaster ) 10.00 reg 20.00 It was missing the container of blast media 1 to 2 oz. I got a bottle about 10 x the size,an still under 20.00

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    Question #1 - I see that the manual says something about replacing the brushs. I took out the side retaining screws and I can't figure out how to get them out.

Question #2 - Once I get them out where do I find replacement ones?
    Th brushes should have springs on them that pop out when you remove that plastic screw cover. Pull on the spring. If the spring pulls off and leaves the brush behind try tipping it on it's side and bumping the motor.

If the brush has worn so much that it is jammed between the commutator and the housing then you will need to pull the motor apart. In that case, the commutator would probably need skimming anyway.

Order from HF, in the back of the manual there is an exploded view, get the item number from that then look it up in the part table for the actual order part number.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

A word of advice for anyone here who shops at Home Depot or Lowes...

I worked for BIG ORANGE for years and know the company inside and out. Many people are unaware that the Pro Desk (also called the Contractors Desk, Contractor Services, etc.), a seperate section at the corner of the store (probably near the front) is NOT just for contractors, and has many HUGE catalogs with a million components for anything in your home or parts for your tools. What you see on the shelves is only a small slice of what Home Depot can get for you. Why the average customer is left in the dark about this has to do with the poor company training, bad management, and bad employees! Anyway, the pro desk can special order it at no extra cost to you and have it delivered directly to the store, at which point they call you and you just come in and pick it up. May be worth a try!
    Last edited by Scott Balboa; 01-21-2010 at 3:14 PM.

Folks - Thanks for your replies and help. Here's the latest status.

I asked HF to ship me a replacement blower that they had in stock. Now they are telling me they canceled the original order and will be issuing me a refund check. They went on to tell me that I would need to place another order for the blower that they do have in stock.

So the new question is:

Who are their competitors where I can order a blower from? Need a 650CFM one.

Thanks again.

Go look at Penn State Industries

Go look at Penn State Industries.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC...cid=6133179899

They have a unit that works real well and is considerably quieter than the harbor freight versions.

Search the forum for "exhaust" and you'll find links like:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=Penn
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

I am baffled by people who spend $20 or $30 thousand on a laser and want to go cheap on a blower.

Look at in-line blowers, a lower cfm, and much lower db. They don't cost that much more and will give you the benefit of quietness.

Unless you're pushing air a great distance or through many el's (90's) you generally don't need that high cfm.

I've used a 260 cfm blower for 12 years with two different brands of lasers and never had smoke or odor problems. I can stand next to my machine with the blower on and carry on a telephone conversation.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I can stand next to my machine with the blower on and carry on a telephone conversation.
    I can stand next to mine and talk - I just can't hear what the other side is saying.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I am baffled by people who spend $20 or $30 thousand on a laser and want to go cheap on a blower.

Look at in-line blowers, a lower cfm, and much lower db. They don't cost that much more and will give you the benefit of quietness.

Unless you're pushing air a great distance or through many el's (90's) you generally don't need that high cfm.

I've used a 260 cfm blower for 12 years with two different brands of lasers and never had smoke or odor problems. I can stand next to my machine with the blower on and carry on a telephone conversation.
    Mike - So where did you get your blower? The Penn State and HF blowers look like the same make, with Penn State being higher.

I would love to get a blower that is nice and quite. So where is a good source?

The HF & Penn State are not the same make.

Here's a link on some in-line fans. I received the mfg info from Mike.

http://www.kanalflakt-us.com/K.pdf
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Check Grainger--that's where I bought mine. Also check inline blowers on the web. Mine is a 6" and is reduced to 4" at the machine and at the exterior duct.

Mine is a model K6 Kanalflakt which I think has been discontinued. It's 12 years old.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Grizzly Industrial

You can also check Grizzly Industrial Supply. They carry similar inexpensive dust collectors. http://www.grizzly.com http://www.grizzly.com

The Penn Industry dust collection blowers seem to be a little bit better built and a bit quieter than the H.F. or Grizzly. Delta also makes a 1 and 1.5 Hp. dust collector, but it is a little more money.

W.W. Grainger sells a great exhaust blower, that can be put inside or outside, but they are really expensive.

Good luck.