Thread: raised ring on table top

raised ring on table top

My wife set a Christmas ornament on her favorite piece of furniture (table) and it left a raised ring. The ornament had some sort of plastic ring on its bottom to protect furniture, I'm guessing. If they something I can use to safely remove it? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, hard to tell from the pic but you describe this as a raised ring. This makes me think the finish is soft and the weight of the item caused a ringed crater-like thing? I have never seen shellac go soft unless it was too old when mixed/applied. Just in case, here is a good article on repairing shellac if you can confirm that is the finish.

Howard A. is a bit of a wizard on finishes and I'll hope he chimes in here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    The plasticizers in some plastics can leach out and soften finishes. I would try
    placing a piece of wax paper over the raised area then placing a flat piece of wood or metal over the wax paper with a heavy weight on it for a few days to see is the finish levels out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

On the chance that it might be shellac, very lightly wipe over it with DA with a slightly moistened (w DA) soft rag. See if that helps. If its a varnish it'll require more advanced technique
    Jerry

Like Lee, I suspect that the plasticizers in the decoration has interacted with the finish.

If the finish has raised I would suspect that the problem has pretty much damaged the finish. There is probably little that can be done in the way of a repair short of stripping and refinishing.

I would see is there is a local refinisher/restorer who can take a look and make a recommendation.
    Howie.........