Thread: Whats a 1952-ish Delta DP 220 worth

Whats a 1952-ish Delta DP 220 worth

Before I dive off into the deep end and post my 2 drill presses for sale in the classified section, what is a decent price for my '51/'52 benchtop Delta DP 220., serial 101-1492. I'll post pictures in the classified section if I decide to sell it. It has the full length hinged/pivoting cast iron belt guard[don't ever drop one of those on your fingers], cleaned and repacked spindle bearings, new motor bearings[motor appears to be original time frame 1/3HP], 0-1/2" jacobs chuck, link belt replacment for the v-belt, good paint and a flex neck light that I added when I bought the drill press from a St. Louis Board of Education auction in the early '80s. Kind of an old friend, but both it and my newer Jet have to go.
    I think shipping costs due to the heavy amount of cast iron on this old Delta means this old DP will only go local. I swear it rivals my floor model Jet in weight!

My $.02 : Anywhere between $200-300 for a good condition floor model, maybe 150-250 for a benchtop.

While the belt cover is nice, the lamp you mention is not correct for the d.p. and the "retirement lamp" is highly sought, often bringing close to $100 on its own.

Also, imo, get rid of the link belts on any machine that has cast aluminum pulleys. It will wear them down.

1/3hp motor is standard. But you dont mention what switch you have. Pullrod? Other?

Lastly, what table does the d.p. have? What is the condition of the table? Arc of shame?

Thanks for the great info, and quick reply. Yeah, since this is a former school drill press, the table has its arc of shame. Although no one drilled through the table , they left half drilled holes. I didn't know the link-belt system was tough on alloy pulleys, good that I only installed the belt in the last 2 years and haven't used the DP once since I installed it. I'll have to see if I kept the old belt, or pick-up a new one at Grainger.
    As for the light, it's always been a user DP for me, not meant as a restoration tool for a collector. I used what I had, don't even know what the retirement light option looks like. Guess I'll venture a look around too see what it looks like. Sounds like I might just keep it, once I replace the link belt.

I paid $125 for my floor model but bought it from a friend who probably gave me a little bit of a deal over what he would have asked on the open market. It doesn't have the belt cover and didn't have the retirement lamp until I added it.

You can do a pretty good job on the arc of shame with JB Weld. It won't be invisible but will look better. Fill the holes and then file down the excess.

My wife now decides she'd hate to see it go, since her Dad helped me buy it with the school auction process, navigating the politics involved with it at the time[insiders always got the pick of the litter with the cast off shop tools, this drill press just didn't look that good with a missing chuck I guess.
    He's been gone for about 10 years now, but she suddenly doesn't mind if it gathers dust in the basement, not being used since it reminds her of him. Ah, what are you going to do with that sentiment.

"Old" drill presses never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    "Old" drill presses never die!
    Yes, and apparently they're not allowed to be sold either!
    Whats worse, is that when my new 20" Delta VS Drill Press shows up in the next week or two, I'll put the two side by side and take a picture for everyone. Just don't expect me to gloat if the old '52 has less run-out than the brand new 20" unit