Thread: Curing walnut Q's

Curing walnut Q's

I removed a 4 acre orchard of black walnut back in November in Modesto CA area. The burl wood guys cut off the graft line area and I was left with fire wood size logs that I milled up two weeks ago. The pieces are about 1" to 7/8" in size. I have a rack in my office that I am using to dry the wood and the office stays at about 70 degrees. How long before I can start using the wood for projects? We also pulled out about 10 Ford F550 loads of misc. size logs to be milled up.

PS. This is my first post here and any advice is welcome esspeciall if it is "you screwed up". I doubt this will be my last time playing with logs.

Thanks,
    Karl Stowe
    Attached Images Attached Images

The most interesting log I milled up looks like it should be book matched and used in the psch. field.

Karl

Lets try pics again?
    Attached Images Attached Images

First off, coat the ends with anchorseal, latex paint, or even old wood glue to keep it from checking. You also need to sticker the pile so air can get to the boards and to prevent mildew from growing. Then get some air flow on it with a fan and you should be ready in a few months.

I cut some spalted maple firewood and let it dry for 1 year. I believe the rule of thumb is 1 year per 1" of thickness. I didn't have any problems and the wood has milled very well.

Definitely "sticker" (that means put 3/4" strips between each layer of boards) the wood and allow air to get to both sides. Also, thats going to give you excess moisture to get rid of indoors, so you may want to make sure you pay attention to humidity in the room. You wouldn't want to have mildew growing on your walls and ceiling due to the extra humidity being emitted by the wood.

I am no expert in the matter, but it isn't really rocket science!

-R

Ditto on the 3/4" stickers between boards and air circulation. I have resawn some logs like these and they are currently drying in my shop near the ceiling. Looks like you have some fine stock for boxes.

I currently have 1/2" plywood stips as stickers because that was what was laying around the shop. I do need to get the anchor seal and give that a try. The office I am in is in a 2 story building with about 1500sf per floor and should have plenty of air flow. I think I might hook up a small fan to get some air flow since I have smaller stickers. The next batch I do I will definitely use 3/4" stock stickers.

Karl

The boards don't care if there is only a 1/2" between them or 3/4" inch. It doesn't matter. Air flow is air flow.
    That looks like some nice walnut. Feel free to ship some to me..
    I'll +1 the idea of coating the ends, otherwise cracks will take over.
    Good luck and let us know what you eventually build with it.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Nice haul! Looks like you sneaked a burl or two on that top shelf! Don't make the stickers wide as that will encourage mold under the stickers - 3/4" square is standard. But, in that environment, the 1/2" should do fine. With the air conditioning/heat blowing constantly in the building, I wouldn't think a fan would be needed with the quantity you have there.