Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which would you choose

Which would you choose

Which would you choose for someone who has put tool to spinning wood once over 20 years ago on my BIL's Shopsmith to see how it felt? Are the two variable speed models worth the extra $100-$150?

Jet 1220 - $449

Delta 46-455 - $499

Jet 1220VS - $599

Delta 46-460 - $599
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeremy Gibson; 01-21-2010 at 4:45 PM.
    Jeremy Gibson

Although I have the Jet 1220, I would go for the Delta. VS if you don't mind spending the extra money.
    Jim

I have the Jet 1220 VS. I like it but if the Delta 46-460 VS with reversing had been out when I bought the Jet I would have went with the Delta. I have turned on the Delta and love it. I sand a lot in reverse on my big lathe and the Delta has that. I would go with the VS and definitely yes it is worth it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I would get the Jet VS. I don't have as much confidence in Delta as I used to, and an extra $150 for VS? Phbttt! No question. Even if I never used it (which I know I would), it would always be nice to have the option.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Jeremy,

I have the JWL 1220, for a 12 X 20 lathe, I'm very pleased with it. It is a lot of bang for the buck. If you want to spend more bucks, go for something else. I turn for fun, taking a minute to change speeds is not an issue.

If I were going to spend more, I'd look at a Nova 1624 ( when it is on sale). Bigger bang, but more bucks.

Whichever you choose, be safe.

Bob

I have the 1220VS and would go for the Delta 46-460 VS not because of the reverse as I have no experience with that, but because of the larger motor (1hp vs 3/4hp) . I have not turned on one but have observed it in use. Very quite and the fit and finish are superb. With the bed extension this is every bit the equal to the Jet 1236.

In fact, I'm half thinking of it as an upgrade though I really want the Jet 1642 EVS (or even better a mustard monster).
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The Jet 1220 VS has min. speed of 200 rpm, the belt change model has min. speed of 500. For that reason alone, I would get the VS. The slower speed is more suitable (safer) for turning slightly out of balance bowls.
    Gordon

I think the variable speed is worth it. Once you have it you will never want to go back. For about the same money, the Delta with the 1 hp motor and reverse is the better deal, and like Bernie, if the Delta was out when I got my Jet, I would have chosen it. I use reverse a lot.

robo hippy

Another of the "happy with Jet 1220VS" crowd but would have purchased the Delta had it been available: additional features combined with the positive reviews.

My lathe experience is limited to the HF 34706 that I bought in September, and the new Delta 46-460 that I received this week.

As I understand, the HF is a clone of the Jet 1236. The difference in the two machines that I have owned is like night and day!! The Delta is super smooth, extremely quiet (though I use the DC most of the time), and I love the low speeds and reverse.

I can't speak to the others, but I can say that I am very impressed with the Delta!

It's your money of course but I recommend the Delta 46-460. I bought one for these reasons:

Very quiet operation no matter what speed
    Plenty of power
    Variable speed is great to get that "just right speed" where your piece doesn't rock the boat too much
    Very easy belt change but you might not have to do this much
    Overall build quality and Singer sewing machine smoothness; this baby just hums.

Good luck on your choice. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Delta 46-460!

Being a Jet fan, and owner of two of them, I would have recommended the Jet 1220VS. However, Since the new Delta as come out, and I have used it, I think Delta currently has the better lathe in this category right now. Not only is it really smooth, its more power, and have reverse.

It also enough to grow into, but still plenty of value to keep around when the turner who has been on the 20 year break decides to further upgrade!

Don't have a suggestions between the two brands, but I'd get the VS without question.

VS is most useful for the inexperienced turner who needs to start slow, and gradually work his/her way up the learning curve and the speed dial. And even experience turners who now have EVS would not voluntarily return to belt-change.
    Richard in Wimberley