Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? For sale, Make offer.

? For sale, Make offer.

How effective is it to list an item for sale on Craigslist or the like "Make offer" I would think you would get nothing but low ball offers. Would you be better off listing something like $300 or best offer just so the buyer has a ball park figure.

How do you deal with such a listing as a buyer or seller?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have a love/hate relationship with "make an offer" ads. I love it when the seller is easy to deal with and you end up with a good deal that makes you both happy. It absolutely STINKS when you make a low offer in hopes of getting a deal and rather than politely countering, the seller gets insulted. I think most buyers and horse traders prefer for the seller to start the negotiations for that reason.

As a seller, I ALWAYS price my listings. I do my research and try to find out what similar items are being listed for, both new and used so I am competitive and reasonable. I do tend to price on the higher end of "competitive and reasonable" with the thought that most folks will try to negotiate. But a few times I have been surprised that folks met my price with no haggling and were happy to get the item at that price and I was happy to get more than I actually expected.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

When I list something for sale on Craig's list or Ebay I list it at the minimum price I will accept for the item. I rarely ever bid on or buy "make offer" items unless it is something I can't live with out. Items with out photos are rarely bid on by me either.
    David B

As a buyer, I ignore them. As a seller, I don't do it.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    As a buyer, I ignore them. As a seller, I don't do it.
    +1.

I really hate it when they don’t put any price down and expect you to quarry them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    +1.

I really hate it when they don’t put any price down and expect you to quarry them.
    +1
    I never even consider anything that is not priced. I just figure that either the seller wants to much or hasn't a clue what its worth. The item is probably more trouble that its worth.
    Jim J.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Same as Rod, Bruce, and James. I don't waste my time with "make me an offer" ads. If an ad/listing doesn't have any pictures, I don't bother with those either.

I suppose it might work with some buyers.

Add me to the list, but if unsure I'd list a price and add "or make offer", that at least gives the buyer a idea what you want.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the unpriced or make offer situation but I would discourage putting in $xxx or best offer. You just told everyone that you are willing to take less.

I never advertise a "make offer" because I am worried I will get all sorts of calls offering way to little. Instead I almost always use the $$$/OBO. The reason is because I feel buyers want to be able to negoitate, if on craigslist. To me if I see and add and it says $400 that means that is what they want and they will haggle very little. So in my case the last think I sold on craigslist was a projection TV. I wanted $300 for it so I put the add $350/OBO sure enough the 1st person that called offered $325. They were happy thinking they got a deal and I got extra beer money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I don't know about the unpriced or make offer situation but I would discourage putting in $xxx or best offer. You just told everyone that you are willing to take less.

If I wanted to sell a item for $400 I'd put a $500 or so price on it, I'd not put bottom line price.

Be supprised how many times you'd settle for $425-450

As far as keeping low ball biders out, good luck, you can list a "FIRM" price and they'll offer less.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

BTDT - today in fact. NJ CL Listing for 16" Walker Turner Bandsaw. No price.

Sent email with several questions - including "what are yo looking for"?

They came back with $450 and it's 3 phase. I'll pass for now.

I said if you get no bites, I'd give em $250 for it.

I'm pretty sure I'll never hear from them again, but you never know.

Jim

A fellow WWer I know had a bunch of darkroom equipment to get rid of.
    Tried asking cheap prices on CL and got no calls.
    He finally changed the ad to read "No unreasonable offer refused".
    Still no calls, until he changed it again to FREE.

Another time, I bought the cheap Delta TS200FS table saw for $40 off CL.
    Took it home, cleaned it up, posted it on CL for $60.
    Sold it the next day for the $60.
    It wasn't worth $40.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 01-22-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Instead I almost always use the $$$/OBO. The reason is because I feel buyers want to be able to negoitate, if on craigslist. To me if I see and add and it says $400 that means that is what they want and they will haggle very little.
    Interesting. My impression/experience is different. I feel like bargaining is the default on craigslist, and that anyone who doesn't say "$xx firm" is open to negotiating depending on the response they get. I never say OBO when I list something, and I almost always get offers below my asking price -- in fact, when I don't it makes me suspect I didn't ask enough (And as a buyer that's the only time I don't counter-offer.)

I'd be reluctant to put OBO in an ad because I'd worry that would encourage lowball offers, which sometimes I find off-putting.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't think there's one single CL etiquette.

As to the original topic, I agree with everyone else, I ignore "make offer" ads and ads that just have a phone number instead of a price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    If I wanted to sell a item for $400 I'd put a $500 or so price on it, I'd not put bottom line price.

Be supprised how many times you'd settle for $425-450

As far as keeping low ball biders out, good luck, you can list a "FIRM" price and they'll offer less.

Al
    I agree, Al. I would post a higher price and be willing to haggle. But some people are a little nervous about haggling and you might get the asking price. If you say OBO your telling everyone that you don't expect to get your asking price.