Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #8 - My first commission! How much $$???

For me when I do flat work I just figure materials x 3 and its pretty close to the given market around here, but in turning, and I'm not good enough at it to sell anything yet, I can see where it would be a lot more difficult to price objects. Especially if that wood had come from a firewood pile and not bought as an expensive blank. That being said I would tend to agree with the $35-$39 range.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to make it?
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Matt, this particular bowl was from a blank that was purchased with a group of others, so I am not sure of the actual cost - probably $10 or so, including a proportionate share of the shipping cost. My time involved is difficult to figure since, like most probably, it was in the chuck over a period of 2 -3 days. Maybe 2.5 - 3 hours total. But, much of that was trying to learn sanding technique on oak - not fun! Maybe 1.5 hours on the form??

I didn't have difficulty getting to final shape with tools/gouges, so I wasn't trying to sand to the form - just trying to get through the grits and not leave the lines. Although I now realize the shape is not quite correct!!

But, that is part of the value of doing more turnings - and, seeking input and comment from this talented bunch of turners!!

+1 on ask your wife.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

John, nice bowl. I like how you have placed your name in the base. How did you do that?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

5. I think that somewhere in the $30-$35 range would be reasonable. It looks like a nice bowl that would go well in a country kitchen. You may find that you will make another sale with the slightly lower price point and gain a good long term customer.

For my first sale I told the customer to give me what they thought it was worth. They gave me way more then I would have asked. You might try letting her decide.

John,

Can't help you on pricing since my work is all "priceless" and I have to give it away. The bowl shape and general finish looks pretty good and a useful design. Leo's comments seem to be right on about the oak and more sanding. The Norton 3X sandpaper has worked well for me, and now used more than power sanding as my turning skills get a little better. The big thing I have found about sanding is to get the first grit used (no matter if 60, 120, or 180) worked out with no scratches showing and then the following goes very easy and fast. Any scratches need to be removed with the lower grit first. Buffing with Tripoli prior to finishing has also worked well for me when doing a finished piece that has poly in the finish. Tripoli is not used for bowls that have the Walnut Oil for general use and then piece sanded only to 400 grit.

John, I just use one of my random orbital sanders to sand the outside of my bowls. It works great for me. On the inside I just use 2" round pads in a cheap electric drill.

But remember to never undercut your galleries on price. If word gets back to them, your work may no longer be welcome there. You want to be in partnership with your galleries, not competition.
    Richard in Wimberley

John, It's a beautiful bowl, and I agree with Leo. The Red Oak has pores that go straight through the wood, and the bowl will leak, unless the pores are filled... The marks in Pic 3, show some markings from either tool or cloth, but they should be cleaned up.
    I think it's awesome that you're going to get to sell some of your stuff. This is only the beginning. I sell bowls of that approximate size, in this area, for 25-40 bucks each. But this area is an ag area, also, so there's not a large market for them right now.
    About 3 weeks ago, I donated two bowls for an auction here in town. One was an Ash bowl 10" dia x about 3" deep. The other was a 12" x 3" pine. They brought over $200 bucks each, one of them nearly $400 (don't know which one). Since then I've had more sales of all items I make.
    The point I'm trying to make is this: find some sort of charity auction, and donate a couple of items. Make sure you have a card with some comments about each item for the auctioneer to read. It'll boost your sales, and you'll be busier than a one legged man in a bicycle race.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I didn't have difficulty getting to final shape with tools/gouges, so I wasn't trying to sand to the form - just trying to get through the grits and not leave the lines.
    John, I have some inertia sanders that I made from Rollerblade wheels and 1/4-20 all-thread with dowel handles. I glued a 3" disk of flip-flop on the wheel, and then applied velcro to that, so Vince's sanding discs would stick.
    All you do is slow the lathe speed down, and let the wheel do the sanding for you. I have one for each grit, from 80 thru 400. Pic of the early ones can be seen here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69730 Scroll down to post #14
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

John, I can't help on the price, since I've only sold a few small things so far (pens & bottle stoppers), but I can say that is a beautiful bowl. I love the rim, especially the fact that it seems you incorporated a flat work element into it with the cove molding below the upper rim. It reminds me of a built-up crown molding on a tall cabinet.

And thanks for posting the thread. I have already learned a lot and hope to learn more from all of the experts here.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

13. I normally dont reply to anything. BUT I do appreciate all of the input from the more expreienced turners. You guys really are the best and have taught my so much for FREE!! . Mr. John you have brought this forum to life in the past couple of months and I look forward to each of your posts. I kept up with your work on the flat side of the forum and now do so here. Thanks!! Great looking bowl!!

My idea about the price is that you should charge enough to get a power sander. Makes sense to me?
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

I really appreciate all the input on the marketing concepts. Things one never thinks about until the situation presents.

Also, lot of good comments on sanding. Allen, those sanders you made are slick! But, I have a hard time convincing myself to scrounge together all the parts - would rather go with a powered sander. Maybe just use my cheap drill for starters, and when it burns up, get something better.

Duff had the right idea - sell the bowl for enough to get a sander!

BTW, thanks for the supportive comments on the bowl, but I see several areas other than the sanding that need improvement. But, hard to improve if one doesn't do more bowls!! Time to start another one.

Allen, thanks for the tip on the charity auctions - I will look into that. Need to get my quality level up a bit first!