Thread: after market saw blade guard

Post after market saw blade guard

Any recomendations or experiences with after market saw blade guards. I am planning on putting one on a Jet 10" contractor table saw.

Thanks

I really like my Sharkguard but it took forever to get it. Don't know what the build/delivery time is now. Check the website.

The two types of aftermarket guards I've seen are;

Splitter/riving knife mounted

- Shark Guard etc.

- has dust collection

- cannot be used for non through cuts

Overarm Guard

- Excalibur etc

- has dust collection

- can be used for both through and non through cuts

- requires separate splitter/riving knife

I've had an Excalibur on a General 650 saw for about 8 years now. It has good dust collection and can be used for non through cuts which is important to me as I do use the saw for dado or rebate cuts.

I've just purchased a new saw (Hammer B3) and it comes from the factory with a setup almost identical to the Shark Guard. I'll be replacing it with another Excalibur.

Regards, Rod.

SharkGuard

I had one on my previous saw (Craftsman 22124 hybrid saw) and was pleased with it. (Safety and dust collection-wise).

Billbo

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    I really like my Sharkguard but it took forever to get it. Don't know what the build/delivery time is now. Check the website.
    I ordered a Sharkguard the first week of January, and Lee told me my order should be going out next week. So I think he's running around 3-4 weeks at the moment.

-Brian

I too vote for the Sharkguard. I have one on a Delta Unisaw and it works great.

I also love my sharkguard

Shark Guard is superb and the wait time is down

It's true that you can't make a non-through cut or a dado, but the Shark Guard has superb dust collection capability for through cuts, including cuts made with a zero clearance insert. It's quick and easy to remove the guard for making a non-through cut, and equally easy to remount it.

If you're interested in the Excalibur primaarily because it can be used for a non-through cut, remember that you'd still need a riving knife or splitter that's lower than the top of the saw blade in order to avoid changing your setup for a non-through cut. If your splitter or riving knife is higher than the blade, you have to remove it even with the Excalibur, so you don;t gain much vs. the Shark Guard

Mike

I love my sharkguard!
    War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The two types of aftermarket guards I've seen are;

Splitter/riving knife mounted

- Shark Guard etc.

- has dust collection

- cannot be used for non through cuts

Overarm Guard

- Excalibur etc

- has dust collection

- can be used for both through and non through cuts

- requires separate splitter/riving knife

I've had an Excalibur on a General 650 saw for about 8 years now. It has good dust collection and can be used for non through cuts which is important to me as I do use the saw for dado or rebate cuts.

I've just purchased a new saw (Hammer B3) and it comes from the factory with a setup almost identical to the Shark Guard. I'll be replacing it with another Excalibur.

Regards, Rod.
    Another vote for an overarm guard. I think if more people actually had occasion to use one there would be a LOT more sold. Taking nothing away from the Shark, it is just when you use a good overarm guard and see the advantages I just don't think many "regular" guards would be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sandman View Post
    It's true that you can't make a non-through cut or a dado, but the Shark Guard has superb dust collection capability for through cuts, including cuts made with a zero clearance insert. It's quick and easy to remove the guard for making a non-through cut, and equally easy to remount it.

If you're interested in the Excalibur primaarily because it can be used for a non-through cut, remember that you'd still need a riving knife or splitter that's lower than the top of the saw blade in order to avoid changing your setup for a non-through cut. If your splitter or riving knife is higher than the blade, you have to remove it even with the Excalibur, so you don;t gain much vs. the Shark Guard

Mike
    Excellent points Mike, however the ability to have a guard on when cutting dadoes or rebates is a tremendous gain.

In my case it's the difference between cutting them on the table saw or having to do it on another machine, so it's a great advantage.

The shark guard splitter also doesn't work on left tilt saws when cutting grooves or dadoes more than one blade kerf wide, which kind of defeats the purpose.

That's not a condemnation of the shark guark, just the mechanics of the saw.

Regards, Rod.