Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Orbit Sanders - ?

Random Orbit Sanders - ?

Hey Gang,

My next purchase is probably going to be a 5" random orbit sander.

It seems for around 100 bucks you can get the DeWalt or Makita w/ variable speed. Step up to around 180 for the Bosch.

For those that are familiar with my posts, I'm a hobbyist with these things so they are not going to be used for hours at a clip every day of the week.

Do you guys have a opinion one way or the other?

Thanks in advance.

Can't beat the Porter Cable's IMO. Obviously Festool is out there, But they cost your first born.

I have been using the Rigid 2601. Its $70 i think and works fine for me. I am not sure what the difference price will buy you. I know the newest porter cable model is lower profile and probably better quality for $130. But I can buy two Rigids for the price of one. Not sure sanding is requires that level of sophistication.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rees View Post
    Hey Gang,

My next purchase is probably going to be a 5" random orbit sander.

It seems for around 100 bucks you can get the DeWalt or Makita w/ variable speed. Step up to around 180 for the Bosch.

For those that are familiar with my posts, I'm a hobbyist with these things so they are not going to be used for hours at a clip every day of the week.

Do you guys have a opinion one way or the other?

Thanks in advance.
    I was in the same position as you when I bought the Makita variable speed. It seemed like a good compromise, and the best bang for the buck.

It certainly does what it's supposed to, but it requires two hands to use, as it seems to wander around a bit while sanding. The dust bag work pretty good, though.

I have a 6" Makita and love it. I hook it up to a hose and it has very good dust collection.

I have the bosch--I think the Bosch ROS20VSK. Used it for at least an hour last night... (I think my hand is still vibrating). I like it--the dust collection hooked up to a small vac is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Jahnke View Post
    Can't beat the Porter Cable's IMO. Obviously Festool is out there, But they cost your first born.
    True Festool tools are pricey but their 5" sander is $170. Not cheap but if you are going to be sanding all day (I know the OP said he isn't going to) then it isn't expensive. Even for relatively short sanding secessions the vibration free use is appreciated. A Festool could be the last sander you'll ever need to buy. With a cheapo how long will it be before the variable speed switch goes?

Another route to go is a Festool sander/vac package deal. Dust free sanding, think about it. This could be a chance to change the way you think about woodworking and your health. Just a thought.

I have the Bosch variable speed. Very good sander, not too pricey. I got mine free as a promo combo, but I'd buy it again.
    Budget? If you can spring it, I'd go Festool, they are amazing tools. The sander is near 100% dust free, and smooth.

I have the Porter Cable 390K and like it. But people speak highly of the Festool and its dust collection.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Seems like there isn't much differance between the DeWalt and the Makita ... or the Porter Cable for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Burrell View Post
    True Festool tools are pricey but their 5" sander is $170.
    I was just going to say that. The 6" ones are quite a bit more, but $170 for a 5" ROS made by Festool that's vibration and dust free - maybe that's worth $50 more than the Bosch?

(I don't have one, but am planning to buy one)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rees View Post
    Seems like there isn't much differance between the DeWalt and the Makita ... or the Porter Cable for that matter.
    The thing I like about the PC is that pad brake. So when you turn it off, the pad stops turning - you can set it down without it jumping all over. The Festool has the same feature.

I haven't heard of that feature on the DeWalt or Makita. It's a really nice feature which you quickly forget in use until you go back to a ROS without it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I was just going to say that. The 6" ones are quite a bit more, but $170 for a 5" ROS made by Festool that's vibration and dust free - maybe that's worth $50 more than the Bosch?

(I don't have one, but am planning to buy one)
    One thing that I'd warn people about the Festool 5" sander is that it isn't an aggressive sander. It wasn't designed to be, it is meant for fine finish sanding. Don't get me wrong, with 60 grit you can remove some material, it will however, take longer than some of the other sanders on the market.

As for the Festool 6" sanders, the ETS150 is one of the finest sanders money can buy. At $285 they are worth every penny. The ETS150 is as good as the Fein RO sanders, and the Fein's are nearly twice the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The thing I like about the PC is that pad brake. So when you turn it off, the pad stops turning - you can set it down without it jumping all over. The Festool has the same feature.

I haven't heard of that feature on the DeWalt or Makita. It's a really nice feature which you quickly forget in use until you go back to a ROS without it.

Mike
    I believe the DeWalt and Makita sanders have have a sanding brake, maybe not every model but most do.

I bought the Milwaukee version (6021-21) about a year ago based on the "Top Value" rating by Wood Magazine. I've been very happy with it as a hobbiest. It's pretty agressive when needed and dust collection seems decent (I hook it up to shop vac, but bag also seems okay). For $61 at Amazon it's quite a deal, imho.