Thread: Makita LS1013 Cut Quality Problem

Makita LS1013 Cut Quality Problem

Hi folks, recently I started noticing a problem with the cut quality on my 1-year-old Makita LS1013 miter saw. I'm hoping it's just user error and not anything wrong with the saw.

cut problem 1.pngcut problem 2.png

The freshly-cut face in both drawings is on the right. The red region represents a volume that is being removed by the saw. It seems to correspond to the location of the teeth when the blade is pushed all the way forward. It is sometimes burned-looking.

I've tried lifting the blade the instant the cut is done, as well as tried sliding the board to the left the instant the cut is done. Sometimes I get it in time, sometimes I'm too early, and sometimes too late.

Is this normal and just a technique issue on my part? Are my expectations too high? I am using the stock blade, but am not opposed to getting a nice new one if that's the culprit.

Any thoughts appreciated - thanks,

Mike

Could be that the blade just needs a good cleaning or sharpening, have you done either?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Hi folks, recently I started noticing a problem with the cut quality on my 1-year-old Makita LS1013 miter saw. I'm hoping it's just user error and not anything wrong with the saw.

cut problem 1.pngcut problem 2.png

The freshly-cut face in both drawings is on the right. The red region represents a volume that is being removed by the saw. It seems to correspond to the location of the teeth when the blade is pushed all the way forward. It is sometimes burned-looking.

I've tried lifting the blade the instant the cut is done, as well as tried sliding the board to the left the instant the cut is done. Sometimes I get it in time, sometimes I'm too early, and sometimes too late.

Is this normal and just a technique issue on my part? Are my expectations too high? I am using the stock blade, but am not opposed to getting a nice new one if that's the culprit.

Any thoughts appreciated - thanks,

Mike
    Not normal, but depending on your technique and the way you apply torque to the handle, it may be slightly deflecting the blade near the end of the cut?

Have you checked the fence? Is it straight? Mine was warped and it caused the wood to pinch and the end of a cut. Makita replaced it but the second one was almost as bad.

Thanks for the replies.. I have not sharpened or cleaned the blade, so I guess a good cleaning would be cheap to try. The fence seems straight according to my straightedge.

Mike