Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Tags/Pet Smart/Epilog

Dog Tags/Pet Smart/Epilog

Epilog just sold Pet Smart over 800 lasers to be put in their stores as kiosks for dog tag engraving.......
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Epilog just sold Pet Smart over 800 lasers to be put in their stores as kiosks for dog tag engraving.......
    Hope you had Epilog stock.
    You might want to find out who supplies the encodes strips to Epilog and get stock in that company as well.

On a more serious note I see opportunity for a large service contract here. 800 lasers ran by people with no experience all making minimum wage
    Jim J.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I didn't realize they had sold that many, but the Pet Smart here in Savannah has had a laser since last October or November. They sell the engravable tags at the check out and all you have to do is by one, pop it in the machine, and type out your text - at least that's how the check out clerk explained it to me. I haven't taken the time to check it out but apparently everything is done by the customer and there is no dedicated store employee to provide this service.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Belinda, are you sure it's not a rotary? Pet smart (and similar large stores) have had rotary engravers for 7-8 years (or more). Same deal, customer buys a token for the machine, type sin the wanted text on a touchscreen, picks a tag design, and hits the big green 'go' button.

James, no kidding! The amount of pet hair alone floating around those stores is scary... dust bunnies galore!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Belinda, are you sure it's not a rotary? Pet smart (and similar large stores) have had rotary engravers for 7-8 years (or more). Same deal, customer buys a token for the machine, type sin the wanted text on a touchscreen, picks a tag design, and hits the big green 'go' button.

James, no kidding! The amount of pet hair alone floating around those stores is scary... dust bunnies galore!
    As I said, Dan, I haven't taken the time to check it out myself. I'm only going by what the check out person told me. I did specifically ask if it was a laser engraver and she said it was a laser. They did have a rotary machine that was located to the right of the entry/exit. I noticed that it was gone. I looked at the tags that are offered and they are anodized aluminum. I believe the clerk was just confused and the machine must be store employee operated.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Is it possible that Epilog has come out with a new small scale engraver specifically for dog tags? One that is basically fool proof?

Bella Terra

It was Epilog and from the way I read it was that it was a totally customer operated kiosk. The walmarts have had the customer operated kiosks for a long time. I believe these lasers are built from The Helix model.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Here's the Epilog link;

http://www.epiloglaser.com/news_tagworks.htm

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

A bit more info on Tag works founder.

TagWorks, LLC was co-founded in 2007 by its Chairman Richard McWilliam, a well-known sport and entertainment industry entrepreneur, who is also Chairman of The Upper Deck Company located in Carlsbad, California. TagWorks, a Tempe, Arizona-based company was established to market innovative pet products based on a patent pending laser kiosk approach that engraves designer pet tags.

ANAHEIM, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Location Based Technologies, Inc. (OTCBB:LBAS), a leading-edge family service provider of personal and pet locator devices and services, today announced it has signed its first purchase order for $3.7M with TagWorks for PetFinder® devices to be delivered January, 2009.
    “By partnering with TagWorks, we secure a distribution relationship with a proven provider of leading edge pet related technology”
    “By partnering with TagWorks, we secure a distribution relationship with a proven provider of leading edge pet related technology,” said Dave Morse, CEO of Location Based Technologies. “We are committed to bringing the best wireless products and experiences to U.S. customers and truly believe that PetFinder is a breakthrough product that will change the way families stay connected with their pets.”
    The PocketFinder® and PetFinder family of products uses advanced technology to help families and their pets stay connected. The smallest known single-board GSM/GPS device easily fits onto the pet’s collar and can be accessed via the Internet, cell phone or landline to show its exact location in real time. In addition, the devices include several advanced features, such as allowing users to designate customizable alert areas as electronic “fences” to notify them when a pet leaves or enters a specified area or checking the 30 day history to assess your pets exercise regimen and wanderings.

Sounds like a guy on the move!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I'd buy stock in the company supplying filters for the fume extraction systems they plan on using.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Waiting for the day you get a haircut by sticking your head into a kiosk like that

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

I have two machines but would never use one for my pet(s) tag(s)! You may ask WHY? The color on the tags wear off and so there goes the engraving. Do you want your lost pet to be out with a tag that has no information on it!

This is one place that I feel a drag or impact marking is much better!
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I'd buy stock in the company supplying filters for the fume extraction systems they plan on using.

Lasering anodized aluminum doesn't produce much in the way of noxious fumes. When I do large batches of them I run the laser for 30-45 seconds at the end of the run and that's for almost 300 tags. For a single tag I wouldn't even bother.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang View Post
    The color on the tags wear off and so there goes the engraving.
    You must have defective coating. Anodized that I get from Chewbarka are extremely durable and I have never seen the coloring wear off. Done properly, anozided aluminum is extremely hard and very wear-proof. Think of all of the paintball guns and bicycle parts that are anozided.

Gary

I've lasered pet tags on anodized aluminum and it lasts a long time. Anodized can get scratched, blent, left in the rain, and still be legible. My puppy has one I made from black anodized and it is pretty beat up (already) but looks better than the diamond-engraved "bright brass" tag my fiance got for her a few days before I made my own version.

Oh well, how often do any of you guys get requests for engraved pet tags? At less than $10 a pop is it really going to make a dent in all of our business?