Thread: Pecan offering plate

Pecan offering plate

A very interesting piece of wood, makes me think of a landscape. The lettering was cut with my home-made CNC router. It is just under 15" dia.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty neat project!! I agree on the landscape impression - nice wood.

Very nice work Dennis! Beautiful wood! Good form and really nice work on the lettering!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Of all the items I have been viewing on this website, that seems like the best money maker!!

Really pretty plate. It does have a landscape impression to it. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

that is fabulous - well done

Hi Dennis,
    Beautiful 'landscape' effect of the wood but I love the clean look of the lettering! It looks like embossing with 3-dimensional effect. I had eroneously pressumed most turners would engrave. Would very much appreciate if you could pls educate me on the process. Thanks in advance.

Excellent work! I think when I get to the point where I can reliably duplicate my projects, I am going to make a dozen Pecan plates for my church... The wicker baskets we use are to say the least, funky....
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

A great job all the way around and great piece of wood.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

It's beautiful. Gorgeous wood and wonderful form.

What started as a beautiful piece of wood was nicely enhanced by your use of it. Well turned and skillfully lettered. I'd also like to hear more about that.

Thanks for the compliments.
    The lettering was done once the plate was removed from the lathe. The plate was clamped face up to the table of my CNC router and a 1/32" end mill was used to cut the letters. I don't have any fancy software, just used a CAD program to layout the letters and a free-ware program to convert DXF file to G-Code. This is about as large as my CNC router can handle without relocating the work in the middle of a job.

Using a CNC machine makes this piece no longer "hand crafted" but I feel that this was a good combination of hand work and automated work.

Beautiful Dennis. And I'd call it hand crafted - you did make the cnc machine, so I think that qualifies.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.