Thread: Anbody with experience with these Hollow-Door anchors?

Anbody with experience with these Hollow-Door anchors?

I've stayed away from putting anything on my hollow core doors because I know what's in them, or rather what's not in them. They're really not built to take a lot of torque. LOML insists on putting this Robe Hook on a hollow core door in a powder room. The company supplied these Hollow-Door anchors with the Robe Hook. They look like they'll do the job. Anybody with experience with them for this type of application? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    I've stayed away from putting anything on my hollow core doors because I know what's in them, or rather what's not in them. They're really not built to take a lot of torque. LOML insists on putting this Robe Hook on a hollow core door in a powder room. The company supplied these Hollow-Door anchors with the Robe Hook. They look like they'll do the job. Anybody with experience with them for this type of application? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Don,
    My wife also wanted robe hooks, and nothing I could find would stay. I finally ended up carving a medallion and screwing the hook through the door and into the medallion.
    Still not perfect, but the wife is happy...
    Mick

The look like some drywall anchors I've seen. Then again, I don't think the holding power issue is going to turn on those anchors, but rather the door.

What about one of those interior door hooks that hook over the top of the door? Try the container store.

My experience has been in time all hollow core holders will fail, well more to the point the door shell itself will fail.

What I do when I need to put something on a door like that, usually in a bathroom, I drill a small pilot hole right in middle of the location of the hook, that will be covered by the hook itself, then shoot a little great stuff in there.

It takes a couple shots to fill in the gap between the inner and outer shell but you will get a bond between the two. Once it sets up I place the anchors in right through that.

Have not yet had one completely fail on me.

I think I like Dennis' idea. Sounds like he has had experience in that arena. I'm on my way to the BORG to get some "great stuff".

Have You Considered?

If you are talking about interior hollow core doors, have you thought about drilling through the door (intentionally) and capping off the bolt head with an acorn nut? I used this method to hang towel racks on the inside of two interior hollow core doors and its great. The acorn nuts are not objectionable on the opposite side of the bathroom doors.

LOML wouldn't go for the idea...to her would look "A little odd" on the clean look of the 6 panel hollow-core door. Filling the inner space with Great Stuff's, Gap & Crack filler seems to be the way to go. Certainly an option though. Thanks for the thought.

I put a hook on mine but I did it at the top where there is a narrow strip on the edge. Been there a long time. The only other thing you could do it take construction adhesive and glue a piece of wood to the surface then mount the hanger. Make the wood plate with a nice edge and stain or paint to match.

There's usually only 1 5/8" MDF on the top and bottom rails of 1 3/8" interior doors. That wouldn't allow the mounting bracket for this Robe Hook as the edges of the Hook would go beyond that. Also, that positioning just wouldn't "look right" for this Hook in this instance. Another design of Hook though, that might work well. Thanks for the input.

I don't trust a door skin for this. I make a bridge. It is a piece of solid lumber at least a half inch thick, screwed into the door frame. It can run horizontally, from one side of the door to the other, or vertically up to the top of the door. The robe hook screws into the bridge. The bridge can be the same species as the door face, or something different for a little contrast.

Don:
    I've used the same type anchors on drywall, and they hold good. I would have no quams about using them on the door.
    Roger