Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop lighting - Layout suggestions/thoughts

David -
    Since you will have a white ceiling and walls your proposed layout should be fine. I don't think the beam will be a problem, especially if you paint it white too.

Strip fixtures will work since you will have white surfaces in the room. The white ceiling will act as a reflector so you don't need one on the fixture, and there's no point in spending the extra money on something you don't need. If you do decide to buy them, though, get the aperatured type. They will stay cleaner than closed top reflectors, and the passage of air over the reflector surface also cools the ballast compartment and prolongs ballast life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lindsey View Post
    David -
    Since you will have a white ceiling and walls your proposed layout should be fine. I don't think the beam will be a problem, especially if you paint it white too.

Strip fixtures will work since you will have white surfaces in the room. The white ceiling will act as a reflector so you don't need one on the fixture, and there's no point in spending the extra money on something you don't need. If you do decide to buy them, though, get the aperatured type. They will stay cleaner than closed top reflectors, and the passage of air over the reflector surface also cools the ballast compartment and prolongs ballast life.
    What brand/model of fixture would you recommend? I'm thinking about going with Lithonia, and possibly the models found at the BORG. Also, for my situation, would a diffuser be suggested, or better without it?

Thanks so much for everybodys responses so far!

Finally finshed the ceiling on 1/3 of the shop and installed 1 of the 18 dollar Lithonia T8 fixtures.

What a difference. I had the old T 12 shop lights and the T 8s are so much brighter. Can't wait to get the other 9 in.

David -
    Any good quality industrial grade fixture will work. I have Lithonia UN series strips in my shop.

I don't normally recommend lensed fixtures or fixtures with diffusers in a woodworking shop. Certainly not in yours. Open fixtures have two surfaces that can collect dirt: the pan or reflector, and the lamps themselves. Lensed or diffused fixtures have two additional surfaces: the inside and outside of the lense or diffuser. Enclosed fixtures trap heat, and fluorescent lamps are heat sensitive. Most are designed to operated in a still air ambient temperature of 77 degrees F. Higher or lower temps will result in reduced light output. Dirt buildup also reduces the amount of light that exits the fixture so why pay more for fixture with more surfaces to clean. Yes, clean. I wash lamps and the fixture pans in my shop on an annual basis.
    Last edited by Jack Lindsey; 01-24-2010 at 8:22 PM.

David, I went with the standard strips. 4 foot 2 bulb about 27.00 each, and 8 foot 4 bulb about 42.00 each. I have four 8 footers, and three 4 footers in now. I need three more of the 4 footers for the main shop, and two of the 8 footers for the assembly/finishing room. I already have all the reflectors built ready for the fixtures.
    Oh, and I too used Jacks article to plan mine. I went for the 50 and older crowd needs. My wife thinks I can get a sun tan at night. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.