Thread: First post, first veneer project

First post, first veneer project

First post and first time veneering. Have been a woodworker many years but never tried veneer. Wife picked up this table for $15 at an estate sale. There’s nothing remarkable about it, but I really like the turned legs. The original veneer was a four piece book match but most of one piece was gone and the rest were badly damaged. I played around with some designs before coming up with what you see. I did this old school, with hot glue and a hammer. Has a couple of rookie mistakes but I kept my expectations realistic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Al, welcome to the creek!!! Great intro with the veneer project. Wonderful to save an old piece destined for the junk pile, and you did a great job on the veneer. I have always wanted to try it, but haven't mustered up the nerve to do so. Bonus points for doing it without a vac press!!

Al,

That looks nice. I like the colors you picked. I need to make an end table for our living room but maybe I can find a table and fix it up like you did.

Doug

Welcome to the Creek Al. Good to have you aboard.
    Nice work on the veneering.
    Looking forward to seeing you post more projects.

Looks great Al. I have also been WW'ing for many years but... very little experience with veneer as I have always worked solid. But frankly.. with the rising prices of wood I may have to go that route to some degree in the not so distant future.

Again.. looks great and welcome to the Creek...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    Looks beautiful... you could tell people you have been veneering for years.

I have been dabbling in veneers, so far all I have done are small inlays, but I want to move into stringing when a project lends itself to it and multi piece inlays as well.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Absolutely stunning! Sorta makes me wish I'd have kept the twin to that table.

Bob

Really nice Al, I like the contrasting woods, to me it doesnt look like a simple 1st veneer project, great work.

Great job. That is pretty ambitious for a first veneer project, especially using hide glue.