Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slop in Drill press quill, is this normal?

Slop in Drill press quill, is this normal?

I just bought a new Delta 17-950L drill press from Lowes. Once I got it all assembled I noticed a lot of play in the quill when it is full extended. I got out my dial indicator & magnetic base and was able to measure .012 - .013" total play in the quill. Is this a normal amount of play, or should I take the DP to the local Delta service center? Are they going to be able to fix the amount of play in the quill?

Jeremy,

That is pretty good for slop in todays drill presses. I have fought this phenomenon with my newly purchased Jet for months. What I can tell you is all imported drill presses these days will have slop. The amount varies from machine to machine. Not manufacturer but each machine. There is Zero quality control when it comes to quill slop. The standard run out that the manufacturers have a spec for when the quill is at a stop, is .010. So if you have .012 when exteneded that is really good. My Jet had .060 out of the box when extended. Maybe delta will do something about it but I highly doubt it, jet wouln't. Since I bought mine I have check dozens of drill presses in stores while passing through, in shops, and other places. I ran into a ridgid one time that was as tight as an old machine. What I can tell you is the old machines made 30 years ago are much much better. My suggestion is to return it, and be patient and seach high and low on craiglist for and old one. The tables won't be as night on the old ones, but you can make your own table a lot easier than it is to fix the quill slop on these cheap POS drill presses made today. This subject really raises the hairs on my neck.

If you get a drill press with a split head design, then you can play around with it to tighten up your specs.

"The split head casting design theoretically allows you to compensate for quill wear over the life of the machine; my hunch is that it makes it easier to manufacture, too, but that's the idea after all: to get more adjustability in a more cost-effective manufacturing paradigm. -from link below

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/articles_766.shtml

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/N...ll%20Press.htm

Here is an interesting thread that talks about Grizzly bringing out a new Drill Press.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121904

Ran into this thread.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

I had to use a cached version of it, that is why the URL looks weird.
    Last edited by Eddie Darby; 01-24-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Okay, so I ended up taking the DP back to the store and getting another of the same one. I looked at the floor model and it's quill was vary tight on it. The one that I ended up exchanging for has just a little slop, but it is about 1/4 as much as the one I returned. I hope this one ends up working out for me because the DP is vary heave to move.

I think it is a matter of adjustment. My Jet had some slop when new, but It was easily adjusted out by squeezing the casting around the quill. If the manual does not tell you how, call Delta. If there is no adjustment, then, the best you can do is hand select your machine. Or return it and buy one with an adjustment.

Take it back for a refund and then find the Steel City DP, it has the split housing design and adjusting clamp to compensate for quill wear/slop. This design was originally used by Clausen Industrial Mfg on their DP's then Delta, PM and other American made DP's followed but since moving their stuff to Asia most have dropped it to save cost. I had a Jet 17" for 10 years and it just got worse (1/16") before retiring it and locating an old Wilton DP on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Vogel View Post
    Take it back for a refund and then find the Steel City DP, it has the split housing design and adjusting clamp to compensate for quill wear/slop. This design was originally used by Clausen Industrial Mfg on their DP's then Delta, PM and other American made DP's followed but since moving their stuff to Asia most have dropped it to save cost. I had a Jet 17" for 10 years and it just got worse (1/16") before retiring it and locating an old Wilton DP on EBay.

The steel city split head is not like the old clausings and old drill presses. It is more marketing gimick. There is only one place for the quill to be adjusted on the steel city. The old drill presses had mulitple places for the quill to be adjusted at. It isn't the same, the old drill presses are 10x better machines than anything built today.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    The steel city split head is not like the old clausings and old drill presses. It is more marketing gimick. There is only one place for the quill to be adjusted on the steel city. The old drill presses had mulitple places for the quill to be adjusted at. It isn't the same, the old drill presses are 10x better machines than anything built today.

So if you had this machine, would you drill and tap a couple of more holes into the head?

I think that i'm going to take your advice and take the DP back. After I exchanged the dp I got one with a tighter quill, but when it started running it it had enough vibration to walk my work piece off the table. I have an old 1950's Craftsman DP that runs much smoother than the new Delta's. I was hoping that the Delta would work better than the old craftsman, because I really like some of the newer features. But I think I will stick with the old Craftsman DP until I can aford a true upgrade like a powermatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Killingbeck View Post
    But I think I will stick with the old Craftsman DP until I can aford a true upgrade like a powermatic.

Dont hold your breath that the quill on the new powermatics will be any tighter. I have tested 2 of them and both were as loose as my Jet. Buy and oldie but a goodie.

Blog Entries
    Many reports on the 17-950 having this problem including mine. The Delta boys fixed it with a "bearing kit" the total contents of which I am not aware. Probably just bearings. This model is the 'top of the line' of their lower end line and has the same basic design as their small benchtop Shopmaster series. Although decent for the under $300 price I paid I wouldn't pay any more.

The PMs and Jets I researched at near twice the price were equal quality. I was saving for a Steel City when the Delta deal popped up. I don't know if that machine has remained on track as far as quality goes or not. I looked at some machines that were pushing $1000 as well that were not much better. It just can't be that hard to make a DP as solid as my 1940's Milwaukee/Delta; it just can't be.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-26-2010 at 8:49 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Excessive quill play

Just bought a 17-950L as a close out at Lowes and after setting it up tonight, I find I have .013" of play front to back and .010 side to side with the shaft extended anywhere past 1". Will call Delta tomorrow and see if they can fix this. I have a Sears 15" that has the same amount of play almost. Thats the reason I went for a new one. If they can't fix this, I'll return it and try to repair the Craftsman. Good price but with the same problem doesn't jive...I'll let you know what happens.... Pete

I have to say that the play in my Delta has definitely not gotten any better over time. The thing is only a few years old, but I agree with what everyone else said. It just can't be this difficult to make a stupid drill press. It's really frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

The It just can't be that hard to make a DP as solid as my 1940's Milwaukee/Delta; it just can't be.
    You're right Glenn, it's not hard, it just costs money. Your 1940 drill press was probably a lot more expensive in cost adjusted dollars than your Delta drill press is today.

Perhaps comparing a General drill press would be more accurate to show what a 1940 drill press would cost today.

Regards, Rod.

Is general still making good presses? I'm really starting to get desperate for something that works.