Thread: Delta 20" Drill Presses are now listed again on the site.

Delta 20" Drill Presses are now listed again on the site.

Thought I would give a heads-up for those who were wondering what was going on with Delta, they have listed the 20" Drill Presses again. It was not there for a few months, and most sites selling these listed it them as 'not available'.

20-950

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...oductID=15684#

20-959lx

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=16130

It's nice to see that these drill presses designed for woodworkers are back!

In my opinion, the problem with variable speed drill presses are their speed range. I would like to see something slower than 200 rpm for flycutters and large forstner bits, and something faster than 2,500 rpm for small bits and polishing.

Delta once sold a variable speed drill press several years ago that had two speed ranges. It was quite expensive and presented itself as professional shop equipment. I guess the dual range capability would make the new version too expensive for the home woodworking market.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    In my opinion, the problem with variable speed drill presses are their speed range. I would like to see something slower than 200 rpm for flycutters and large forstner bits, and something faster than 2,500 rpm for small bits and polishing.

Delta once sold a variable speed drill press several years ago that had two speed ranges. It was quite expensive and presented itself as professional shop equipment. I guess the dual range capability would make the new version too expensive for the home woodworking market.

-Jeff
    This one covers that range and more 150-3000. It is the best WWing DP I have seen, had given up on it and focused on the Jet until now...maybe.

My bad...

I thought the drill press in first link was the same as the one in the second link just without a laser. However, the specs say quite differently. I wonder why there are two models of basically the same class of drill press?

Anyway...Nice!

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I went back to look at the specs...quill stroke is 6"... very cool.

Anyone have an inside line to Delta that can find out if this is coming back? I looked on their website and emailed the technical support address asking but haven't heard anything back yet. If I recall correctly, they had a digital depth gauge as well. I didn't see anything mentioning it on the website, think they got rid of it?

Delta has been touting these machines since 2006, but have never been able to supply them consistently. We got one last year, IMO, it's the best WWing drill press I've come across.

It's unfortunate and ridiculous that Delta can't get their act together enough to get them off their website and into the marketplace/shops.

No reputable vendors currently list them as available.

If anybody had any in stock, there are several people here alone who would be pulling the trigger.

-kg

I checked with several vendors last week when I saw they were back, unanimously they said "nope, they're discontinued". If Delta has re-released them, they haven't told any of their dealers, which would be par for the course on these machines. They have a very strange history. Although I really, really need a new DP, at this point I'm very, very leery of buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Holmes View Post
    Although I really, really need a new DP, at this point I'm very, very leery of buying one.
    I'm with you Cliff, as much as I really want to pick one up I am also nervous of support afterward. Parts, etc...

Unfortunately it's not so ............. they're discontinued. I sent an email off off to Delta 'cause I was a bit skeptical and got this in return.

Dear John, we believe the following information addresses your inquiry.

Unfortunately, this is an error on the web site. These units are not currently available and we do not expect them to be available in the future. We apologize for any confusion.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. If your question remains unresolved or if you require additional information please update this incident.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Riddick

Weird thing is that the website still shows both drill presses and also lists the old 17-965.
    Last edited by John Callahan; 01-25-2010 at 7:34 PM.

I bought a VS Delta for the shop where I worked several years ago. It had a rectangular metal housing,not the formed plastic one shown in the post above. It made way too much vibration noise,and the chuck had to be changed to a real Jacobs as the original one ran untrue,and wouldn't grasp drills well enough. It had rounded edge jaws,and kept ruining the shanks of drills when it allowed them to spin. We tightened the chuck as hard as we could! No luck. I replaced the belt in an effort to make the head vibrate less. No luck. Finally,I just left a clamp clamped across the head to tone it down some. I retired before I got around to finding a better cure. Probably just Chinese tolerances in the variable diameter pulleys.

This sounds like it could be an IT guy/gal making a mistake, and putting up the wrong pages on the server mainframe.
    So perhaps they are getting ready to introduce new machines, and the wrong ones were put up. I've heard of an 18-950 model in the works, but not until spring time.
    Surely if Delta cancel these drill presses than they must have something to follow-up with as replacements. Or am I being too logical!
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Probably just Chinese tolerances in the variable diameter pulleys.
    I have heard of VS DP's running real well, and then some that you would think were auditioning for Dancing With the Stars!
    Perhaps this is the real problem that Delta has, and this is why they are canceling these machines.
    Some companies have to put their own inspectors right in the factories in the Far East, to make sure that things measure up to spec.
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.

I have heard of VS DP's running real well, and then some that you would think were auditioning for Dancing With the Stars!
    I just finished restoring a 40 year old Delta VS drill press. It runs as
    smooth today as it did the day it left the factory. The runout measured
    at 1.5" down from the chuck was well under 2 thou. It also retains
    much of the charm of the earlier Delta equipment unlike what is now
    being produced.

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69056
    Last edited by Martin King; 01-26-2010 at 3:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin King View Post
    I just finished restoring a 40 year old Delta VS drill press. It runs as
    smooth today as it did the day it left the factory. The runout measured
    at 1.5 down from the chuck was well under 2 thou. It also retains
    much of the charm of the earlier Delta equipment unlike what is now
    being produced.

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69056
    Great post and great looking drill press! Thanks!