Thread: Vicmarc VL300 Long bed Lathe Base

Vicmarc VL300 Long bed Lathe Base

I was inspired by Dave Schell several months ago when he posted a thread about his Vicmarc base and bought myself a new Vicmarc VL300 long bed. I got the lathe from Woodworkers Emporium (Christien Brisepierre in Las Vegas - a great guy) and picked it up at SWAT in October. I bought the lathe without a base, motor or controller, got a show discount and brought it back myself, saving shipping. So, I ended up paying about half of what a VS with a base cost (~$5,000), since I already had a 3HP motor and controller from a homemade lathe I built.

The base is made out of 3/4" ply using two torsion boxes (one on the top and one on the bottom), each filled with about 74 pounds of sand. The finished base weighs about 350 pounds and the lathe is another 375 pounds, so it is really stable.

I reprogrammed the controller so that on the 1:1 pulley, I can run from about 100 RPM to 2750 RPM without changing a belt.

This Vicmarc is very well built and a joy to use. I really like the long bed because I can slide the tailstock to the end of the bed and it is out of the way when I hollow. I also don't have holes in my right elbow anymore from the live center.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Dave! Great looking lathe and shop area!

Looking forward to seeing some turnings real soon!

If you think of it - add this to the thread - Turning Group Members and their Lathes - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65230
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Dave that is a great looking setup. I like the base.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow thats a nice setup, looks like you have a really nice shop as well. Tons for room in there. Happy turning!

Dave, congratulations - that's a great looking base! I'm sure it was a rewarding project - especially considering the money you saved. That Vicmarc long bed sure looks like a monster compared to the short bed version.

Looks great! Are you hooking up your clearvue to it? Would like to make a better movable/adjustable hood for mine to utilize the 6 inch intake.

Dave, thanks for the comments. Yeah, the long bed is huge. The challenge was to make the base flat so I didn't twist the ways - I was off by 0.015" on one end so I had to shim it.

Baxter, yes I will hook up the ClearVue dust collector, but am not sure how to do it yet. I have a 6" line on the wall next to the lathe, but haven't found a hood with a 6" opening. Maybe I'll have to make one. I also thought about splitting it into two 4" lines, one on each side of the bed, but that may get in the way. Any suggestions are welcome.

That's the same lathe Richard Raffan has turned on the last 20 years, that's a great lathe, and you have a nice setup there now, this really calls for YOU SUCK
    Have fun and take care

Great looking tool.
    Great looking shop, Now go mess it up.
    Jerrry

I agree. You suck! Nice work.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum