Thread: Another Torsion Box Assembly Table

Another Torsion Box Assembly Table

Well that is if you ask me, if you ask my helper it's a party table and you can see in these photos its setup for a party.

Just another version of an adjustable height table.

Not quite done yet, still need to do a few things including lots of poly on the MDF. There is a hardboard top that lies on top of the MDF to protect it as well. The legs need some loving too for finishing. I think the pictures speak for themselves. The legs have dowel holes for when it is lower and in cabinet assembly mode, when its up I need to make some extensions for the legs, its stable enough for glue up and some finish work, but too much slop for hammering or anything major when it is up. When lowered it is rock solid and very heavy. The levers sticking out both sides engage the casters, the feet are on the outside because my garage floor is not uniform and I need to be able to adjust them easy. Their is a place for a vise to go as well that I am still working on and the lever on the front pushes in a dowel that makes the table lower. Works well and its adjustable to change the speed the table lowers. I'm really excited to use this. I experimented with a few things when building it so there are a lot of things I'd like to change but I'm too far into it time and money wise to go much farther for a workbench right now.

All in all, its perfect for what I need and I learned a lot building it. Comments/suggestions welcome. I'll post the finished pics when I can, this humidity is making the stain take forever to dry.

My helper

looks nice .

only suggestion I have is be careful your helper doesnt get hurt she is cute

How sturdy is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Todd View Post
    looks nice .

only suggestion I have is be careful your helper doesnt get hurt she is cute
    She has a better track record than her Father. She listens well when it comes to safety in the shop. usually doesn't want to be anywhere near me when I make noise.

Quote Originally Posted by rick carpenter View Post
    How sturdy is it?
    Well like I said, in assembly table mode with the legs in the slots it's rock solid, even up to the 4th dowel hole. Thats 95% of the use I expect it to get. Above that (when the legs come out of the pockets) its solid in that its not going to fall down or tip over but there is slop in the scissor jack mechanics so you can wiggle the top of the table side to side the ends up and down, but not terribly bad. Its good enough for glue up, sanding, assembly at that height, just not hand planing or hammering really. I think once I make some leg extensions to use when at these upper heights it will be much more solid but still not perfect. I hope that answers your question.

Only thing I expect to use it for at the upper heights is unloading MDF from the bed of a truck and some assembly/glue up/outfeed table.

Nice!

Nice accessories, good color choice (pink). My kids love working with me. It's a lot of fun.

Oh, the assembly table looks pretty cool too.

-Brian

Very nice table

That is something I think you will find very useful and it will take up less space than tables at different heights. Unless, of course, you don't have to worry about space.

You could put your helper on top and give her elevator rides!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    Nice accessories, good color choice (pink). My kids love working with me. It's a lot of fun.

Oh, the assembly table looks pretty cool too.

-Brian
    I'm trying to figure out some blocks or something to make her that she can put fake nails and screws in, she has one plastic board but she can't build anything with it. She likes to build towers with my cuttoffs though. And you're right, its fun and it gives you a great excuse why everything takes twice as long!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Keel View Post
    That is something I think you will find very useful and it will take up less space than tables at different heights. Unless, of course, you don't have to worry about space.

You could put your helper on top and give her elevator rides!
    I had it up working on the final details inside and she came out and said "I want the party table my height, Daddy"

As for usefull, I hope so. I've gotten tired of gluing up on the floor or on my table saw. The work benches you can see in the background are nice for many things but not for gluing up. It will be nice to have 360 access around the project. Space is always an issue. I have about half of a 3 car garage, technically all of it since my car is the one in there right now, but since everything is mobile I can still get two cars in if I have to, but it works out well that I can push the cars out and take over completely when I need to.

Where dod you get you leveling feet? What's the Min and Max height from the lip on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by brian c miller View Post
    Where dod you get you leveling feet? What's the Min and Max height from the lip on the table?

Should be about 24" to 48" but I'll measure for sure tonight. The feet came from Woodcraft. They are easy to adjust with an allen wrench. Though I am sure you can find suiteable feet elsewhere for less, problem is Woodcraft is walking distance from my office.

Great table, and that's one cute kid. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haughs View Post
    problem is Woodcraft is walking distance from my office.
    That would be very dangerous for me.....sometimes having to get in the car and drive an hour isn't all bad

Quote Originally Posted by Logan William View Post
    That would be very dangerous for me.....sometimes having to get in the car and drive an hour isn't all bad

Height:
    24" to 47 3/4"