Thread: Table saw extensions ... suggestions to improve old garage sale saw?

Table saw extensions ... suggestions to improve old garage sale saw?

I'm trying to get all my tools (which is not much) moved to my basement.

I'm going to build a dust cabinet/box for my table saw and get all my other tools in on a dust collection system.

while I'm at it....has anyone made table saw extensions for a cheaper/old table saw?

My saw was bought for next to nothing and came with some cheasy sheet metal extensions....I have a few ideas to build some from MDF but I don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have too. I have a Delta fence which works nicely and I don't want to spend major money....

If anyone has suggestions or pointers I would welcome them!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just built a left side router extension table on my saw, but I didn't build a cabinet underneath (yet), and I hung my extension off my fence rails + some supports from the ground, so my experience is different. That being said, here is what I would recommend. I would almost certainly try to do most of these cuts in the garage before moving the tools as you'll generate a lot of dust (MDF) and you don't have your DC set up yet.

1. Figure out where your tools are going to fit in your basement shop.

2. Think about how much room you're willing to give up around your saw for these wings.

3. Decide on a material. MDF works pretty good, even better if you laminate it or treat the surface in some manner, but just plain MDF will get you started. Decide on a banding material, any kind of real wood would work fine to encase and protect the edges of your MDF. There are all kinds of things that you could use (old countertops) depending on your access to materials. A few looks at CL while you're planning this out could prove intriguing.

4. Build a framework for your saw to sit on, since it sounded like you were going to take it off of your current stand.

5. Build a separate framework that butts up against the right or left side of your saw, and with your extension wing surface resting on the top is close to being the correct height to mate up with your table saw.

6. Start shimming things until it's perfect.

7. Bolt the saw to the frame, bolt the extension top to the frame.

8. Check to make sure everything is still in alignment, then bolt the two frames together. Check everything again.
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

I have a similar Craftsman tablesaw with the sheet metal wings. I am in the planning stages now of mounting it on a cabinet with casters, and maybe a router in the right extension wing. The inspiration for mine is coming from a workshop article in W--d Magazine. The plans are available from this magazine to build your own.

Blog Entries
    I had a C-man like that but, circa 1950. At one point I was on the trail to do just what you describe. I built a frame and used 3/4" MDF for the right wing and about the same thing on the left but with a router in it. I strongly recommend a router table wing as one of your wings. Except for the router being on the wrong side (for me), there are some good ideas here and here.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-25-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

well those ideas are not what I had in mind....but I think they are better!...so I think that's the direction I will try to take this. The one in that last link looks like it would fit the bill....I'llhave to change it to be more modular so it can fit up the stairs when I move.

Thanks!

I've seen people selling older Craftsman saws like that, with solid cast iron wings, and dead motors for next to nothing on Craigslist... If you in an area where CL can do you some good, you might want to look to see if you can score some cast wings for that saw...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

You might check their site, as Sears used to sell cast iron wings (also webbed ones).

Also ebay, but it tends to be more then finding a dead one locally, via CL.

Sounds like me some time back.
    I built the Wood rag style saw station under it and built wings using just the mdf that I tossed a laminate on top of - I modified somewhat their plan as I wanted longer wing to right side for a 50" rail system. It was on 4 quality 4" casters and to be honest --- that setup was all I ever needed to this day. I tossed a router in on the left wing too - but never used it as I liked a dedicated table more.
    I then got the "tool envy" thing and went to a cabinet saw - but sure never really needed to and mad at myself that I did to be honest. That be another story there ...

They have the plans on website I think - if you can't find pm me and I can look as I saw them here last fall somewhere.