Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ...for Scarey Sharpeners... MKII Power..

...for Scarey Sharpeners... MKII Power..

I'm not sure if I can get away with posting a power tool question "over here", but...

After spending about 2 hours tonight resharpening a couple of skew chisels and my Veritas marking knife, I am considering the Veritas MkII Power sharpener. I know. Electrons have to die to use this. But I am tired.

I have been using paper for about 4 years. I am not at all disatisfied with the results or the cost. I have found that oiling the paper it will last a long long time. I do final hone on green rouge on a board. With chisels that allow me to use a fixture, I can turn them out quickly. But these angled tools are really slow for me to hand hold and get a good edge. It seems to me that the maintenance (flattening) on water stones would about eat up most time savings on the paper. I've not tried them and I'm sure that some folks will say that isn't true. But I am just looking for the quickest way to ge the job done *right*. If a few watts die, so be it! Birthday is coming up soon so cost is no problem. At least I don't *think* it is.

Part of my "struggle" tonight came from using my marking knife against a metal straight edge which *killed* my nicely flattened back. What do you do when you need to make a deep cut in an exact position in a straight line?

Thanks for any thoughts.

David
    Last edited by David Rose; 10-21-2004 at 3:45 AM.

David,

Take a look at this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13057
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    I'm not sure if I can get away with posting a power tool question "over here", but...

After spending about 2 hours tonight resharpening a couple of skew chisels and my Veritas marking knife, I am considering the Veritas MkII Power sharpener. I know. Electrons have to die to use this. But I am tired.
    David,

Before you spend a few hundred bucks, check out this $26.95 gizmo at Tools for Working Wood, http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=THG
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

'Stone' Gloat

Ah, perfect. I was looking for a good spot for a gloat over here and I think this thread will work out nicely.

Manny Hernandez had me and another guy over to his place last Sunday for an all day "Sharpening and Plane Tuning" event and I learned quite a bit.

We tuned up/sharpened a freebie Taiwan-made #4 Smoother of mine and reground a Jap. chisel to 30° and sharpened it. Manny uses Shapton man-made stones and sold us on them so I picked up a cash-sucking amount from Joel at Tools-For-Working-Wood.

You can make out most of the stones in the pic:

1000 grit
    2000 grit
    5000 grit
    8000 grit
    15000 grit

I also picked up a plate (in the white box) used to keep those stones flat along with some coarse, medium, and fine powders (3 containers). I probably don't need the 15k right now (Shapton also makes a 30k grit but that sucker is like $600!!! ) but in time, as I get better, I'm sure I'll use it for that final polish/luster.

I've got a garage sink going in with my whole garage make-over and I plan to make some kind of a little station there. I still need an 8" grinder but I'm getting there....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-21-2004 at 7:29 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I feel your pain brother. Last week I sharpened two A2 plane blades and it took way too much time. Besides that, I still not completely happy with the results. I find getting the backs flat on this A2 stuff takes forever. Getting the bevel right doesn't seem to be as hard. I've thought about the Veritas power sharpener, but my impression is that you can't use it to flatten the backs or at least not easily. Right now, I am thinking about trying diamond paste for the initial sharpening of stuff and hopefully I can just maintain the edges quickly with either sandpaper or water stones.
    I understand your frustration with free handing sharpening too. I tried to free hand sharpen a couple of chisel and ended up with domed bevels instead of flat. I am sure with practice, I could learn to sharpen the bevel flat every time, but frankly I would rather spend my time learning to saw straight then free hand sharpen. I've seen a couple jigs that will handle skewed blades. The Veritas jig will handle them. I've held off buying the current Veritas jig because they're suppose to be coming out with a new jig early next year. Richard Kell also makes a jig for sharpening skewed blades, but I've only been able to find it at Dieter Schmid's Fine Tools and I don't want to pay the shipping costs from Germany. Good luck on the sharpening quest. Let us know what you decide.

Wendell

If you have extra cash this month and really want to use those electrons efficiently go for this http://www.woodartistry.com/Products-LapSharp200.htm

I get perfect mirror flat backs and very fine edges with this.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Perata
    If you have extra cash this month and really want to use those electrons efficiently go for this http://www.woodartistry.com/Products-LapSharp200.htm

That's cheating Mike.

Don's selling it through a couple places now. Seems to be gaining popularity. Go to the Logosol website and look up Spin Sharp. Look familiar?

Jeff, that post got me started thinking about it again.

Thanks, David

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Jump
    David,

Take a look at this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13057
    Jeff

Tom, my old monitor at work hides the details of this tool. I'll check it out when I get home.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaRussa
    David,

Before you spend a few hundred bucks, check out this $26.95 gizmo at Tools for Working Wood, http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=THG

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Hernandez
    That's cheating Mike.

Don's selling it through a couple places now. Seems to be gaining popularity. Go to the Logosol website and look up Spin Sharp. Look familiar?
    Manny,

We need some Shapton stone discs to put on Mike's LapSharp!! Hey, what is that sucking sound coming from my wallet...sounds like a vacuum be created in there or something....

Chris, to start with... a gloat with a question mark is improperly marked. I'll see who to contact to get you a few demerits.

And just in case you *really* don't know if this post is a gloat, send them rocks over hear and I'll make sure they are "worthy". I'll keep 'em nice and flat for ya.

Oh, and please add the 30K grit first! We want a fully rounded test!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Ah, perfect. I was looking for a good spot for a gloat over here and I think this thread will work out nicely.

Manny Hernandez had me and another guy over to his place last Sunday for an all day "Sharpening and Plane Tuning" event and I learned quite a bit.

We tuned up/sharpened a freebie Taiwan-made #4 Smoother of mine and reground a Jap. chisel to 30° and sharpened it. Manny uses Shapton man-made stones and sold us on them so I picked up a cash-sucking amount from Joel at Tools-For-Working-Wood.

You can make out most of the stones in the pic:

1000 grit
    2000 grit
    5000 grit
    8000 grit
    15000 grit

I also picked up a plate (in the white box) used to keep those stones flat along with some coarse, medium, and fine powders (3 containers). I probably don't need the 15k right now (Shapton also makes a 30k grit but that sucker is like $600!!! ) but in time, as I get better, I'm sure I'll use it for that final polish/luster.

I've got a garage sink going in with my whole garage make-over and I plan to make some kind of a little station there. I still need an 8" grinder but I'm getting there....

Wendell, I need to do more research. If I can't easily flatten the backs with the tool, it will not be worth as much too me. Thanks for the tip.

I initially sharpened the skews with the Veritas jig. It is just much more difficult to set up for the resharpening. Or maybe it's just me. But getting both angles (bevel and skew) set back is a little tough.

Thanks for the info on the new jig too! I'll bet they've found a way to improve the holding ability. That is my only gripe with it really.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Wilkerson
    I feel your pain brother. Last week I sharpened two A2 plane blades and it took way too much time. Besides that, I still not completely happy with the results. I find getting the backs flat on this A2 stuff takes forever. Getting the bevel right doesn't seem to be as hard. I've thought about the Veritas power sharpener, but my impression is that you can't use it to flatten the backs or at least not easily. Right now, I am thinking about trying diamond paste for the initial sharpening of stuff and hopefully I can just maintain the edges quickly with either sandpaper or water stones.
    I understand your frustration with free handing sharpening too. I tried to free hand sharpen a couple of chisel and ended up with domed bevels instead of flat. I am sure with practice, I could learn to sharpen the bevel flat every time, but frankly I would rather spend my time learning to saw straight then free hand sharpen. I've seen a couple jigs that will handle skewed blades. The Veritas jig will handle them. I've held off buying the current Veritas jig because they're suppose to be coming out with a new jig early next year. Richard Kell also makes a jig for sharpening skewed blades, but I've only been able to find it at Dieter Schmid's Fine Tools and I don't want to pay the shipping costs from Germany. Good luck on the sharpening quest. Let us know what you decide.

Wendell

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    Chris, to start with... a gloat with a question mark is improperly marked. I'll see who to contact to get you a few demerits.

And just in case you *really* don't know if this post is a gloat, send them rocks over hear and I'll make sure they are "worthy". I'll keep 'em nice and flat for ya.

Oh, and please add the 30K grit first! We want a fully rounded test!

David
    Question mark?? What question mark?? hehehe...you can't copy the Title of a thread over....

That looks like quite a tool! But it is really a bit out of my budget for now.

Lee Valley is answering some questions for me at this time. You can attach a cloth piece to the disks and use rouge on the machine. This should get about as fine an edge as feasible.

I wonder if the big advantage to the Lap Sharp is the foot control. If so, that should not be hard to setup on the MkII either. I can see how that could help.

What other reason might there be for the MkII not doing backs? Is the bit higher speed a problem?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Perata

Chris, send me one of those "ole" Shaptons and I'll grind it up and remold it in an epoxy base! You think a coffee grinder would do it?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Manny,

We need some Shapton stone discs to put on Mike's LapSharp!! Hey, what is that sucking sound coming from my wallet...sounds like a vacuum be created in there or something....