Thread: Carving ready to stain

Carving ready to stain

Here is my latest project - a 3-D carving based on a design of M. C. Escher. At the bottom is a pattern of winged horses that fit exactly together, that is, a tesselation. Going higher, the horses have more shape and size, with just two full figures at the top. I have now stained the tesselation, so you can see to alternate dark horses.

The piece is 2-1/2" x 4" x 12" - butternut. - Phil Allin

horses110 (2).jpg

That's beautiful! It sure looks different from what you posted a few days ago.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

hi phil, yes the darker stain brings that design beautifully. it is very nice how the horses became more full when looking higher, and the top one being in the round, gives a nice motion in the viewing. i like this idea,...

Carving already stained

Hi Doris - thanks for your comments on my horse carving. Several of Escher's designs are made around the idea of figures changing shape and separating. The first I carved (about 35 years ago) was "Sky & Water I" - where the figures fit together in the middle, but separate and have more depth and detail toward the top and bottom:

SkyWater.jpg

Really awesome. I have always been an Escher fan. Very cool to see his work translated from 2-D to 3-D. For your next project, why not try out his piece "Relativity".
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Project finished!

Here is the final stage off this project.

horses110f.jpg

This looks really great! The staining definately helps pick out the horses.
    "Always Chipping Away"