Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first Tall Dresser

my first Tall Dresser

Well, there may be a couple of you who remember when I cut the plywood panels out of this project.

Cherry wood, 3 coats of amber shellac. Not my design, but I did make some very minor tweaks to the original.

Here it is finished and in use. I finished it up this past weekend.

New solid cherry side panels replaced the plywood. (Plywood was replaced because color match was not to my liking.)

Here is a view from the side.

And lastly, I felt this project was worthy of my signature. So I pulled out my branding iron. (The majority of the project was done it 2009, so that is what I used for the date.)

Comments welcome. I'll start. I think the glued up panels could have better grain matching. My only issue is that the supplier I go to does not have a large section of cherry 4/4 select. I spent at least 2 hours to find what you see there. (That 2 hours is just for the panels...at least another hour for the rest of the wood.) And so sorry for the crappy pictures. I need to take a class or at least learn how to take the best with what you have.

Thanks for the community. I feel like I'm never that far away from some good advice.

Jerry

Jerry,

Nothing more classic than a cherry dresser; well done! I think you've executed the wood selection and build with a high degree of skill.

A suggestion only, colored by my personal biases - perhaps some contrasting doo-dads would go great, e.g., some walnut or mahogany pins in the M&T joints, maybe an ebony "washer" under the knobs. I'm drawn to the streak of sapwood on the right side panel; I like that.

Cheers,

Seth
    Play drums!

Looks like the dresser turned out very well Jerry.
    Very worthy of a signature...
    Over time she will darken up just beautifully.
    And nice save getting those plywood panels out and the solid wood ones in.

Jerry, a suggestion for you in the future would be to resaw and bookmatch your panel. If you have a good flat surface on both sides of the cherry board, resaw it in half, and glue the bookmatched pieces to some poplar. Then run them through the planer to get rid of the resaw marks and bring them to a point where you can glue them up. Leave a little for final planing to finish thickness.

I, too, like a little contrast, but that is just personal taste. But, not withstanding, great job on the chest/tall dresser!

Jerry,
    I have very little experience with cherry. I mostly work QSWO. Seeing this fine piece makes me want to head to the store TODAY!!!!

You should be very proud of that. It's very well done. Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Blog Entries
    Ohhhh, me likey. John is dead-on about grain matching troubles. My supplier has a lot of great stuff but is always a bit under expectations for consistency on walnut. The solution is to buy thicker and butterfly my own.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Excellent, very clean looking. Few people understand how much work goes into a dresser.

I suffer the same situation with the lack of a large selection of wood. You really have to pick through the pile at times.
    Stan

Very nice Jerry!

Nice work, very nice. Where did you get the branding iron? I would like something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    Nice work, very nice. Where did you get the branding iron? I would like something like that.

Rockler. I bought the date attachment too.

John - Spot on with the advice on resawing. I will keep that technique in my arsenal for future projects. Next on my list is to build a matching bedside table. Hopefully there is no need for that being there are no panels...but I'll just have to really take the time for matching the top boards.

Stan - Yeah, the selection is a beast. The stack of cherry at my supplier is about 3 feet wide and about 1 foot deep. They stand the boards up on end, and most of them are 6 or 7 feet long. Almost every single board has a ton of sap wood on one side, and as you can see, most have some on the "good" side also. This was my first experience with cherry. I like the wood, I just need to factor in more time for wood selection...like I may need to go a few times over a month or 2 to get enough boards that match well and are to my liking.
    Last edited by Jerry Strojny; 01-26-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Very nice job Jerry. Yep.. ply is a beast to deal with on grain and the main reason I try to avoid it. But.. you will have to have a good band-saw to do your own book-matching so hopefully you have one. If not.. don't tell mama I suggested you need one to improve your ability!

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Very nice job Jerry. Yep.. ply is a beast to deal with on grain and the main reason I try to avoid it. But.. you will have to have a good band-saw to do your own book-matching so hopefully you have one. If not.. don't tell mama I suggested you need one to improve your ability!

Well done...
    You know what I would really love, is to have someone come to my house, and just go through all my tools to show me how to properly set up and maintain them. I have a bandsaw, but I need to cut fairly thick when resawing. My issue is that it I get uneven cuts vertically. It's thin at top, thicker at the bottom. Do people in a woodworking guilds help each other out like that? Mentoring? And something else that has been bothering me is my workshop. I want to totally rearange it. I don't know where to start...ok, I'm getting of track. I'll leave that for another day.

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate them.

The dresser looks geat. I saved the pictures to give me ideas latter when the wife wants me to make one. I have heard from my father, that read in a wood working journal, that you need to tighten the blade 3 times as much as recomend. My father said if you tap the blade it should make a ringing noise. I have yet to try this.
    Book matching cherry is rather difficult. I was in Modesto, CA this last weekend and helped a friend send a whole unit of cherry through a double head planer. Judging from that whole unit it would be very hard to find boards that match.

Karl

The answer is yes.. people in both Guilds and WW'ing Clubs are usually more than happy to help out a locak by dropping by and offering their assistance. I would be glad to do just that if you lived within a 25 mile radius of me in the Atlanta area. What I suggest is to do some digging and see what clubs... etc. you do have local in Milwaukee.

Not knowing any circumstances... type.. size of BS.. type of blade you are using.. fence you use.. how well you have the saw adjusted.. type of stock.. etc. etc... I cannot provide any help. You might just simply post the problem and questions in General WW'ing section and give the details I mentioned above along with the technique. Could be as simple as not enough tension (too little would probably not cause the problem you mentioned).. a dull blade.. too fast a feed rate.. too many teeth on the blade.. etc.. etc. which are all common reasons for your problem.

Enough said as the old retiree has a "hot date" awaiting in my shop and the wife is aware of that... doesn't get any better than that! ...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Very pretty. I like the clean lines.