Thread: Looking for some electrical help

Looking for some electrical help

Good morning,
    I work in a commercial building that has 3 phase power, there is a 120/208 panel that we can get more power from for our new band saw and dust collector. The plug that currently feeds the table saw reads 215v on a meter, the tag on the saw says 230v. I thought that with 2 hot leads and a neutral we would have 208v?

Am I right in assuming that the 230v band saw would run off of an outlet giving me 215v? Also why is it that I have 215v?

Thank you for any guidance that you might be able to give.

Hi Mike, a 208V 3 phase system will bive you 208V between phases, and 120V to neutral from any phase.

This makes it ideal for small loads, you can have 208V 3 phase, 208V single phase, and 120V single phase.

215Volts means the supply voltage is about 2% high, which is just fine.

In addition your saw should accept +/- 10% line voltage unless stated otherwise by the manufacturer, so the low voltage limit of the saw motor would be approximately 207 volts ( 230 X .9).

Your saw should run fine on 215 volts, however I would measure the voltage with the saw cutting something to be sure that the voltage doesn't drop too low.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Mike, a 208V 3 phase system will bive you 208V between phases, and 120V to neutral from any phase.

This makes it ideal for small loads, you can have 208V 3 phase, 208V single phase, and 120V single phase.

215Volts means the supply voltage is about 2% high, which is just fine.

In addition your saw should accept +/- 10% line voltage unless stated otherwise by the manufacturer, so the low voltage limit of the saw motor would be approximately 207 volts ( 230 X .9).

Your saw should run fine on 215 volts, however I would measure the voltage with the saw cutting something to be sure that the voltage doesn't drop too low.

Regards, Rod.

Great! Thanks sooo much!
    We will go ahead with the order

Is this a new saw you are hooking up?? Does the tag say 115/230volts???

When you measured the voltage with a meter what time of day was it. Voltage can varry during the day.
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 01-26-2010 at 9:54 AM.
    John T.

What are you getting on the 120v legs?

123v on either side to neutral. 214v pole to pole

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Palmowski View Post
    123v on either side to neutral. 214v pole to pole

You are fine on voltage as long as you have enough current (no reason to think you don't) you should be just fine. But read on.

The "correct" voltage for you with your service is 120 on each leg to neutral and 208 between any two phases so you are running just a tad high... which s good. BTW 208 comes from the square root of 3 (1.73 x 120 = 208). Note the 240v motor wll draw more current, about 15% more so make sure the circuit you are on can handle that also the starting torque will be lower BUT that is a non-issue with a saw because it doesn't hard start. You also mentioned a DC if they are on the same circuit add the current draw up and remember to add 15%.

Edit just saw it was a 230 motor so the extra current draw will only be about 10%.

Thank you again, the company said anywhere from 200-240 would be fine, thanks again for the help, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Is this a new saw you are hooking up?? Does the tag say 115/230volts???

When you measured the voltage with a meter what time of day was it. Voltage can varry during the day.

Time of day as well as time of year and/or daily weather. On a mild temperate day, power consumptions are minimal therefore voltages will be typically higher.

As others have already stated, your voltage is well with acceptable ranges.