Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moisture metre?

Moisture metre?

Good day Creekers,

I was wondering if people are using moisture metre in there shop, wich one they use and why?

I'm thinking of upgrading my cheep needle one to a needleless one and I wanted to know what you are using out there!

thank you

David,

I consider a moisture meter an essential shop tool, certainly if you're going to be buying a variety of wood from a variety of sources.

Mine is an older Delmhorst pin-type but I'm not up on what's currently available; anything halfway accurate is better than nothing, however.

I have a MiniLigno pin type which works okay

You might want to check with these guys:
    http://www.electrophysics.on.ca/meters.htm
    They certainly didn't waste any time or money on flashy web sites but I've seen decent reviews on their stuff. And they're a Canadian firm.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Good day Creekers,

I was wondering if people are using moisture metre in there shop, wich one they use and why?

I'm thinking of upgrading my cheep needle one to a needleless one and I wanted to know what you are using out there!

thank you

Thank you guys, I have a pin one and use it a bit but i would like to have a pin less for prep wood or smaller piece that I don't want hols in!!
    I looked into the electrophysics stuf allready and it's tempting!

I looked into this because you asked the question. If you want a better quality pinless meter, your better brands appear to be Lignomat, Wagner, Delmhorst, and Electrophysics. Most of the Lignos are pin type but they have a pinless model as well, which is by the way currently on sale via Tyler tool. I think any of them would serve a hobbyist well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Good day Creekers,

thank you
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolG....aspx?id=33170

Thank you Josh, I have the article and it is interesting. It will be in between the Ligno and the electrophysics!

David,

I've had the Electrophysics ct100 for probably a decade/12 years and have had no problems with it and can't think of what more I would want ---- one hand operation, species/density correction via a potentimeter (sp?), big digital display.... but apart from the pinless feature and the above conveniences, the really inexpensive pin meters coming out of far east are just as useful.....

good luck

michael
    Last edited by michael osadchuk; 01-28-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo correction

For those who do not have access to FWW website, here are the recommendations by the author of the above article. All are pinless models:

WAGNER L609 SHOPLINE
    LIGNOMAT LIGNO-SCANNER S
    ELECTROPHYSICS CT100 DIGITAL
    ELECTROPHYSICS CT12 - best value
    LIGNO-SCANNER D - best overall

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fisher View Post
    For those who do not have access to FWW website, here are the recommendations by the author of the above article. All are pinless models:

WAGNER L609 SHOPLINE
    LIGNOMAT LIGNO-SCANNER S
    ELECTROPHYSICS CT100 DIGITAL
    ELECTROPHYSICS CT12 - best value
    LIGNO-SCANNER D - best overall

Rob
    Is there a dealer in the USA for the Electrophysics? I googled them last night and couldn't find one. Looking for the best price.

Josh,
    Electrophysics sells their meters in the USA through an Ebay store. Go to Ebay and do a search for Electrophysics CT 100 and it should pop up -- price ~$177 plus $15 shipping.

It looks like you can also order though their website (via email) or over the phone.

Rob

FYI, I asked about the diffences in the and this is the response:
    "The largest difference is certainly the readout--with the CT100 you see an LCD display, whereas with the CT12 you turn the knob to see a light change color. The CT100 will read above 24% moisture content, which the CT12 does not. The CT100 has a knob to turn to set the wood density, and then the correction for wood species is done electronically, whereas for the CT12 you have to look up the correction in the owners manual."

if you buy them(electophysics) on line, and look for the online discount, it bring you to there ebay page!

I've been ashamed to mention this, but here it goes. I have an 8 buck harbor freight moisture meter. It seems to do well. At least it gives you a relative reading. I just picked up some very old maple stored in a barn and read ever board. They ranged form 11 to 15 on day one. I've read them over the past two days while they on 2x4's and on edge to aid drying in my 60 degree heated shop. They have dropped 1 to 3% each day. It's a pin type and at least with the maple it's hard to get the pins much past 1/8", but I think it will tell me when they equalize.