Thread: Looking for comments on Akeda jig

Looking for comments on Akeda jig

I talked to the Richmond VA Woodcraft store just now and they said they will not carry the jig. I was told Akeda is in financial trouble. I then called the Roanoke VA store and they had not heard of this.

Does anyone know about Akeda, are they about to go out of business? Is is a good jig?

Thanks,

It's a great jib. Easy setup, good clamping system, good dust control and very flexible. I got to test drive one when I visited with Bob Lasley in Tulsa, OK a couple of years back. Nice DT jig and a lot easier to work that the Omnijig and Leigh jig.

Your milage may vary....of course.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Akeda had a factory fire a year or more ago and just got back on the market. The product is reported to be an excellent jig with a lot of flexibility and ease of use. The Leigh D4 is slightly more flexible when it comes to variable spacing (the Akeda adjusts in 1/8" increments) and is a little wider, but owners of the Akeda who purchased in the first go-around seem to be pleased with it. I have not heard anything relative to their financial condition, but can imagine that being off the market for a long time has not helped them in that department...no revenue is not a comfortable thing. I would suggest you do more research on that rather than just taking the word of the local Woodcraft franchise, although they are certainly in a position to hear things given the relationship between the parties from the beginning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Check out woodshopdemos.com. John has an excellent review(as are all of them, by the way), of the Akeda jig. Thorough, lots of pictures, it's great.
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

The akeda jig is back on the market due in large part to woodcraft supply. My store owner has told me taht woodcraft helpped finance the resurrection of this jig. It also didn't hurt that they sold the metric rights to trend machinery from england. the whiteside company is manufacturing a set of bits for this jig.
    Last edited by Leonard Horner; 10-21-2004 at 3:42 PM.

Here is some updates from their web site

Update 2004 September 5

See Us At The Woodworking Shows

Now you can watch a professional demonstration of Model DC16 at all the Woodworking Shows this season! Go to the TWC (The Woodworker's Choice) booth and see how easily you can produce all kinds of dovetails on the AKEDA's Model DC16 - through, half blind, rabbeted, shadow, end-on end, sliding, and more. Click here for a show schedule.

User Manual Update

We've updated the User Manual. Click here to download a PDF

US Dealers

More US dealers are carrying AKEDA's Model DC16 Dovetail jig. Click here for a list of new dealers. If your favorite dealer isn't listed, ask them if they'll be stocking the jig.

Update 2004 July 18

We're shipping!

After being shut down for many months, we're now shipping again. You can expect to see the AKEDA jig in your nearest woodworking store in July or August. Jigs and kits may initially be in short supply, so you might want to place an order with your dealer now.

To everyone who patiently waited for the AKEDA jig to reappear, thanks for your support and encouragement!
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Here's my opinion about the Akeda jig. When it first came out I went to the Woodcraft store to see an in store demo. Even though I was very unfamiliar with the ins and outs of dovetail jigs at the time, I was impressed. At the time I didnt have the $$$ to plunk down for the jig. Too many other tools to buy first. Some time later I started jig shopping and whittled my choices down to 2. The Leigh and the Akeda. ***I asked at Woodcraft (after the Akeda was back in production) when they were getting them in. I was told "Who knows? Maybe never!" 2 weeks later I got a Woodcraft mailer and it was advertised in the flyer. I had seen the Leigh in action at woodworking shows and had done extensive online reading about both jigs. Last weekend I bought the Akeda. I have made a couple of mistakes with it but my 2nd attempt at through dovetails was near perfect. In the week I have had it, I am very happy and figure I will be for long to come.

I've had the Akeda for about 9 months now and love it for drawers. It's about all I've used it for yet. it is very easy to set up and use. As long as your stock is flat you are about sure of good fitting dovetails. I cut almost perfect fitting dovetails the first time I used it. it's the only real jig I've owned except for a $45 one that went in the trash so I have nothing to compare it to. I am very happy with it.

Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

Comparison of the Akeda jig to the Leigh D4 jig

Here is a link to Phil Bumbalough's article that compares the Akeda jig to the Leigh D4 jig.

http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/Le...rsusAkeda.html

When Akeda first came out, it was a Woodcraft exclusive. Due to the fire, the company had to offer it to more companies in order to fund the resurrection. At this point in time, I'm not sure what other companies will be stocking the jig. We, at the Tulsa store, stopped displaying the jig when it wasn't available for a while. We are carrying it again, with a full line of bit sets. There is a new bit set available for it from Whiteside. Since most Woodcraft stores are franchises now, the individual store has the choice of carrying the product or not. If you want the item, I'm sure that they can special order it for you. Akeda is back and I don't have a problem getting stock at all.

The Akeda does a nice job at holding pieces while sanding too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm a bit dense, and therefore intimidated by the Leigh. I could probably figure it out, but frankly, I'm much happier with simpler things. So two questions...is it simpler? And how does it compare to the Leigh in cost?

KC

KC, while at first glance, the Leigh seems more "complex" and therefore intimidating. Download the manual from the Leigh web site...it's about the best tool manual ever published...and I think you will find it less intimidating very quickly. Frankly, I find it easier to use than the old fixed jig I had, especially because it's consistant and I don't have to fight with it. (I had a cheap jig...) The Akeda should be as easier or slightly easier to use if it will do what you want it to do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...