Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down a floor drill press to benchtop height?

Cutting down a floor drill press to benchtop height?

In lieu of selling my Jet JDP-17M and just BUYING a big benchtop drill press like the Jet JDP-15M, I wonder if I couldn't cut the column and geared rack down to benchtop height. The column should not be a problem, but the rack might require careful grinding to reshape the lip that fits under the notched flange. Can anyone help with advice?
    Last edited by Chris Nolin; 01-27-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Hi Chris, it's certainly possible, and cost effective.

A horizontal metal cutting bandsaw and a grinder are all you need, and I can't imagine that grinding the rack would be difficult at all.

Regards, Rod.

You might find that the column is the same size as the smaller press. If that's the case, you can probably buy the smaller column and gear rack as replacement parts. This would let you save the larger column and gear rack in the event you wish to revert it back to a floor standing press. Not sure if that's the case, but it might be something to look into.

Jeremy,
    That's the kind of idea I was hoping for! Thanks! Why didn't I think of that? I'll call Jet and find out, and I'll post what I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nolin View Post
    In lieu of selling my Jet JDP-17M and just BUYING a big benchtop drill press like the Jet JDP-15M, I wonder if I couldn't cut the column and geared rack down to benchtop height. The column should not be a problem, but the rack might require careful grinding to reshape the lip that fits under the notched flange. Can anyone help with advice?
    I don't know your motivation for taking it down to benchtop height, so this might not be helpful, but here it goes anyway: Have you considered building a cabinet around the column? I have seen this done frequently. You get cabinet space, good mobility (if you put the cabinet on casters) and the ability to use the full height if needed by simply moving the head 180 degrees.

Augusto,
    That's another great idea! Thank you for that. I didn't mention this, but I'm tall enough that the height of the drill press head is low enough on the floor standing model that I have to stoop a little to use it, so the benchtop model allows me to built a support cabinet that will raise it to a comfortable height. But that idea might be perfect for other people. Cheers!
    Last edited by Chris Nolin; 01-27-2010 at 3:58 PM.

Augusto,
    That's another great idea! Thank you for that. I didn't mention this, but I'm tall enough that the height of the drill press head low enough on the floor standing model that I have to stoop a little to use it, so the benchtop model allows me to built a support cabinet that will raise it to a comfortable height. But that idea might be perfect for other people. Cheers!
    Hey Chris, I am in a similar situation, kind of... I am in a wheelchair and a floor model is too big, but a benchtop model on the bench is too high. I just built a small cabinet with a drawer in it that way I could bring my drill press to the right height. You might want to think about that. How high do you need to raise it. You can always use more storage in a shop. I will use the drawer to store drill bit sets and drill press stuff. I wish that I had a pic but I dont.
    Chuck

"I didn't mention this, but I'm tall enough that the height of the drill press head low enough on the floor standing model that I have to stoop a little to use it, so the benchtop model allows me to built a support cabinet that will raise it to a comfortable height.
    --Chris N.

Bolt some 2x4, 4x4, etc., spacers to the drill press and floor to raise the DP to a comfortanble working height??

Seriously, guys, great ideas all! Thank you very much!

Why? A free-standing DP has a smaller footprint than a BT, once you factor in the bench/cabinet or whatever you put it on.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nolin View Post
    Augusto,
    That's another great idea! Thank you for that. I didn't mention this, but I'm tall enough that the height of the drill press head is low enough on the floor standing model that I have to stoop a little to use it, so the benchtop model allows me to built a support cabinet that will raise it to a comfortable height. But that idea might be perfect for other people. Cheers!
    Why not build a wooden base to put the floor standing model on, to get the extra height?

How much further do you need to raise it?

I don't need to raise it more than about 4 inches, but storage underneath and mobility (from caster mounted on the cabinet) are also nice features.

One thing to consider when putting casters on the cabinet: the DP might be top heavy and you may need to put some outriggers or a wider base on the cabinet to attach the casters and improve stability.

I don't need to raise it more than about 4 inches, but storage underneath and mobility (from caster mounted on the cabinet) are also nice features.
    Sounds to me like the cabinet idea is the best. If you built a cabinet with casters under you could raise the height of the drill press by about 4 inches and then put drawers or shelves in front of the column and gain some storage space. I would probably design it so that the drill press slid into the cabinet from the back and could be secured to the bottom by removing the drawers. If you dont understand what I mean I can draw and scan a quick picture.

I checked the specs for both JDP-17M and the JDP-15. Unfortunately, they have different sized columns (3-1/8 vs. 2-7/8" dia.). So I won't be ordering the JDP-15 column to retrofit my JDP-17. Oh well.

Wayne, I think I understand what you're talking about, but a picture would be helpful. I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts on this project.
    Last edited by Chris Nolin; 01-28-2010 at 11:22 AM.