Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on shop cabinets

Need advice on shop cabinets

I want to make some clamshell wall cabinets for my garage to get the mess organized. I did a search here, and found exactly 2 threads with cabinets of this type. Of the two, the posts in one mostly referred to the other. Here it is. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=clamshell Are these type of cabinets just not popular and if not why? They seem like a practical use of space. If there is a reason nobody likes them? If they are unpopular, what would you suggest that would be useful for everything from sanding and drilling tools and supplies to screws nails and mechanics tools. In other words, show me your stuff... errr cabinets.

Also, if you have made cabinets like these or others, what would you do differenty to make them more useful? I am attaching a pic from a wood magazine article of the type of cabinets I think I want to build.

clamshell.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I made the exact cabinet you have shown. I love mine. I didn't make the bins at the bottom. My only regret is that I wish I had made it a little bigger than the plans called. I will probably build another one of these at some point.

I'm too disorganized to make use of something like that. Not to mention that thing looks like it might hold maybe 5% of the stuff I need to store.

Blog Entries
    I used to have one like that. It now resides at my son in law's garage holding his tools. I simply out grew mine and it became excess when I lined most of the walls in my shop with peg board.

I like being able to see my tools and not open doors to get them only to find out I hadn't put it away the last time I used it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You can always adopt my method of storing tools, I have three 2 door floor to ceiling cabinets, four cupboards with a work top six two door wall cupboards, three free standing drawer cabinets and 4 by 8 pegboard.

I store my tools on the table saw, out feed table, assembly table, chop saw station, on top of my planer, shop vacuum, drill press, band saw, radial arm saw and the floor. I can usually find what I'm looking for in a couple of minutes. If a put my tools away it can take me 10 minutes to find what I'm looking for since going through the storage cabinets I find tool and odds and ends I forgot I had.

Just a thought.

Greg

Blog Entries
    I have always been attracted to them but, keeping the adjacent wallspace clear to allow door opening as designed outweighed usability for me. I went with a cleat system and some of my cleat mountable fixtures are pegboard panels about 2' x 3'. This has worked out well for me. YMMV.

I do have three main cabinets in the shop that hold everything from small parts bins, tenoning jigs and sharpening gear to routers, ROS and sanding supplies. I also have a tall Craftsman mechanic's style tool box that I got a great deal on way back when. I use it because i have it but, in truth, 80% of what's in there is used very seldom and could go on the other side of the shop.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-27-2010 at 2:14 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I used to have one like that. It now resides at my son in law's garage holding his tools. I simply out grew mine and it became excess when I lined most of the walls in my shop with peg board.

I like being able to see my tools and not open doors to get them only to find out I hadn't put it away the last time I used it.

I am doing something similiar to Lee's suggestion... from floor to 2', osb, then 4' of pegboard, then 2' of simple MDF cabinets... all the way around the shop... I too don't wanna be hunting drawers and cabinets for things! I can barely find stuff now when it is laying in the open on a bench!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I like to keep my tools visable too, but I'm looking for a way to keep the dust off. I make so much dust in the shop. I also want to make the place look better. It helps my attitude working in the shop if it looks clean and organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sznajdruk View Post
    I store my tools on the table saw, out feed table, assembly table, chop saw station, on top of my planer, shop vacuum, drill press, band saw, radial arm saw and the floor. I can usually find what I'm looking for in a couple of minutes. If a put my tools away it can take me 10 minutes to find what I'm looking for since going through the storage cabinets I find tool and odds and ends I forgot I had.
    Sounds like the same way I store my tools now. My problem is at the end of every shop session, all the tools need to be put away so the cars can occupy the shop. I'm just looking for a way to make it faster and easier. I also want a way to tell right away if somethng else is missing.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I have two cabinets similar to that. They are 4 ft wide and high. The doors are 2 ft wide. So I have a full sheet of pegboard space in half the space it would normally take. I have had them 10 years + and have moved them twice. They hang on a French cleat. I made them to save on wall space and get my tools hung up. Not fancy but you could modify the basic idea to fit your needs. I used piano hinges (3 ft long) and was concerned about sag when I did it but, as I said, 10 years + and they have sagged a littel but still open easily.
    2009.04-18 Tools Storage 2.jpg2009.04-18 Tools Storage 3.jpg2009.04-18 Tools Tools 3.jpg
    On the inside of one door I have installed shelves to store screws, etc. The doors are 4 inches deep and the cabinet is 4 inches deep. Sorry I don't have better photos.

P.S. The maritiem flags spell out the grandchildrens' names.
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 01-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Doors get in the way and limit change in tool size or growth in number. I'm an 'open plan' kind of guy I guess. Need more room... add another bank to the side and hang more of what you've got.

I hate looking at a cabinet and having to guess if the tool I need is in it. Doors are a PITA IMHO, unless the tools stored inside are not used very often. If the doors are needed to limit ingress of sawdust, your lungs don't have that protection... time to have a look at a better DC and stop it at it's source.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post

P.S. The maritiem flags spell out the grandchildrens' names.
    That is slick. Now.... the funny look'in one with the big star on it.....?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

You have shop space, you have tools, hopefully you have an idea of thekinds of things you'd like to build, and if you're a homeowner you have non-woodworking tools and non-woodworking things you make, work on and repair. Why don't you think out for yourself what kind of cabinets you need? If you can't do that maybe you ought to take up stamp collecting instead of woodworking. Are you going to live out your life taking all your ideas from others?

I've often thought about this also. Is it better to hang your tools on peg board where you can see them or keep them in drawers and cabinets. The peg board option is kinda like working inside a giant tool box. But I guess I just like the looks of a cabinet lined shop better. I have a bit of a combo right now.

I built a the cabinet that was in FWW a few years ago. I also built one with plans form PlansNow for my old shop. Make sure you build it out of good material and get it anchored to the wall good. I had one hanging by a french cleat made of pallet wood, the cleat broke and all my stuff hit the floor, glad it was my hardware cabinet not my tool cabinet.
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    I like to keep my tools visable too, but I'm looking for a way to keep the dust off. I make so much dust in the shop. I also want to make the place look better. It helps my attitude working in the shop if it looks clean and organized.

I used to have that problem as well until I connected my tools including my ROS to my DC system.

Sounds like the same way I store my tools now. My problem is at the end of every shop session, all the tools need to be put away so the cars can occupy the shop. I'm just looking for a way to make it faster and easier. I also want a way to tell right away if somethng else is missing.
    I use that method of storing tools as well from time to time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

From Lee Schierer...
    "I used to have that problem as well until I connected my tools including my ROS to my DC system."

Lee,

I have a fairly good DC now, but it isn't set up very well. Currently everything is temporary. The redo of the DC is phase 3 of my shop remodel. It is why I have to have my cabinets figured out first, so I know where to place the ducting. At the rate I am going with this remodel, it may be a moot point. By the time I get it done, I may be to old to ever make anything in the shop again"
    Brian