Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Anybody affected by the Toyota recall/stop selling order?

Has anyone seen anything about Toyota compensating dealers for the halt in sales due to the temporary halt in sales?

My wife's car will need to be replaced in the next year. With this mess and the heavy hand Toyota's electronic stability program has on drivers, I will not consider the Camry as a replacement. Right now the Ford Fusion and Honda Accord are the frontrunners. If Chrysler gets their act together with Fiats help, I might look at what they have. My PT Cruiser is 8.5 years old, has 117k miles on it, and runs as smooth as the day I bought it. The only major problem I had and have is with the coolant system, but that did not become a problem until 110k miles.

Regarding Consumer Reports. I don't trust them at all. The fiasco with their test of the Orbit Car Seat was the final straw. You can read all about it here.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

It looks like the NTSB and toyota still haven't agreed on the culprit yet. Toyota saws it is the pedal not returning. The NTSB says it is that is some cases and software in others. I would not be suprised to see a pedal recall 1st which they are starting to implement. And later on a "flash" to the PCM to update some software. Last evening they had a Toyota store manager on talking about how he has hired an addition 20 techs just to do recalls. Says he will be able to do 500 recalls a day. I am sorry but this guy has to be "smoking crack". I have a very very hard time believing he will be able to have that many parts on hand and be orgainzed enough to operate like that. But we will see.

I would buy a car with keyless ignition if it shut off imediatly if I pushed the button. But the lexus I have driven that you have to push and hold the putton for 3 seconds is BS. That is not safe if you ask me. There also needs to be some type of teather as well, I just dont trust it.

OK, I'm starting to think there's something funny going on here. It's looking like the GM influence Matt had heard about might be real.

The US Transportation Secretary is now telling people who own recalled Toyotas to NOT drive their cars.

Consider that GM has had recalls for failing brakes and front end components which could randomly disconnect. Ford had trucks which could spontaneously burst into flames while sitting parked. And never, not once, did our Tansportation Secretary tell people to stop driving their vehicles.

He retracted that statement. But he's pretty PO'd at Toyota the way it sounds.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-03-2010 at 1:28 PM.

I suspect it'll be a combination of problems, from matts to sluggish pedals to sensor/software problems. I can't blame people for being skeptical of the fixes because Toyota has been dodging this for years. Hopefully they'll get it straightened out.

The more I read and listen too about this fiasco. I am not so sure toyota is going to rebound as I previously ecpected. It is now comming out about how toyota has known about issues for some time but were unwilling to do anything. The NTSB basically told toyota do something or we will. And then toyota still dragged their feet. Until it got to this point were they we told quit selling your cars and get this fixed now. And the investigators still arn't convinced that the gas pedal is the whole problem. I guess it appears to me it is just toyota's management as usual thinking their $%^& doesn't stink.

The recall the other compainies have went through in the past never got to this point because while reluctant to release anything. Ford, GM, and Chrysler did in a timly maner admit there was a problem and went out of their way to repair it. Unlike toyota who it appears denied it until the ship sank.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    The more I read and listen too about this fiasco. I am not so sure toyota is going to rebound as I previously ecpected. It is now comming out about how toyota has known about issues for some time but were unwilling to do anything. The NTSB basically told toyota do something or we will. And then toyota still dragged their feet. Until it got to this point were they we told quit selling your cars and get this fixed now. And the investigators still arn't convinced that the gas pedal is the whole problem. I guess it appears to me it is just toyota's management as usual thinking their $%^& doesn't stink.

The recall the other compainies have went through in the past never got to this point because while reluctant to release anything. Ford, GM, and Chrysler did in a timly maner admit there was a problem and went out of their way to repair it. Unlike toyota who it appears denied it until the ship sank.
    Paul the story seems to change daily, it has from the start. Couldnt agree with you more that Toyota has become reactive on this instead of proactive like they should have. I agree the big 3 seem to get recalls handled more effectively. Just doesnt make sense that they cant get this figured out. They have blamed everything but the kitchen sink on the problem, floormats, software and the pedal. Whats left??

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    They have blamed everything but the kitchen sink on the problem, floormats, software and the pedal. Whats left??
    Magnetic interference. I heard on the radio this morning that had also been investigated.

Steve Wozniak was on CNN yesterday. He claims his wife's Lexus will accelerate on its own under certain conditions when the cruise control is engaged. He said he's able to recreate the condition and he's disappointed Toyota won't acknowledge the problem.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it was his iPhone causing the problem? (and yeah, I know he no longer works there)

I managed software development for analog modems, and some of the problems customers reported would only happen if a very unusual sequence of events happened. Reproducing those problems was extremely difficult because, before hand, we didn't know the sequence of events that would produce the problem. We had to try all kind of things to find what was the root cause. It took a LOT of engineering hours to address one problem.

I suspect something similar is happening with the Toyota. When a very unusual set of things happen in the right order, the car accelerates on its own. Finding that is really difficult.

Sometimes we could never find the root cause (because the sequence happened over a relatively long time) but could put in code that would detect when the error happened and correct it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

A list of recalls

With all of the blame going around, lets keep things in perspective and remember that ALL manufacturers of just about ANYTHING will eventually push a dud design or part out the door.

A listing of car manufacturers' recalls: (Toyota is nowhere near the worst offender, BTW. Ford tops the list with 5,039)

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/

Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 02-03-2010 at 4:06 PM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Again,

Personally I am not a Ford fan either. But many of Fords recalls are customer satisfaction recalls. Recalls that many manufacturers would never even dream of. Ford had a recall on the early model F-150 made in 97 on the exhaust. The original design came out in from of the right rear tire. The exahust over time caused that wheel to become discolored. So Ford recalled the exhust and wheel for customer satisfaction resasons. It had nothing to do with saftey. There were sub frame recalls on taurus that was a saftey issue, along with the nightmare wiring issues that they had. But many of there recalls were also customer satisfaction related. There are many issues that I could not believe Chrysler did not recall. Because we replaced every one on every model in certiain years. So each company has different reasons to make recalls. Many are not saftey related.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Again,

Personally I am not a Ford fan either. But many of Fords recalls are customer satisfaction recalls. Recalls that many manufacturers would never even dream of. Ford had a recall on the early model F-150 made in 97 on the exhaust. The original design came out in from of the right rear tire. The exahust over time caused that wheel to become discolored. So Ford recalled the exhust and wheel for customer satisfaction resasons. It had nothing to do with saftey. There were sub frame recalls on taurus that was a saftey issue, along with the nightmare wiring issues that they had. But many of there recalls were also customer satisfaction related. There are many issues that I could not believe Chrysler did not recall. Because we replaced every one on every model in certiain years. So each company has different reasons to make recalls. Many are not saftey related.

Don't get me started on the 1997 Ford F150. My exhaust is as you described. Never a recall on my 1997 built in Feb of that year for the exhaust.
    Anyway......... Ford had a problem with the 97 6cyl that left the factory in Jan and Feb of that year. I lost coolant in that thing from day one. Took it back to dealer many times. To the point they said there was nothing else to do. Do a search on the 97 6cyl F150 about blown engines. They all go at about 75K miles. Mine did at about 78K. Cost ME $4,000 to put a new engine in. It was out of warranty by that time. I called shops and say I need a price for a new engine in my truck. They all would say "is it a 97 F150 6cyl" they replace them that often. But FORD knows nothing about it?????
    The 1997 F150 is the most stolen truck in the US.
    http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=434545
    Guess there is a market for the used engines.

OK...rant over. Back to woodworking
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yes dave that 4.2 is a pile. They don't make it anymore. Each and every company has their "wish we wouldn't have done that" moments. Honda has that with their odessey trannies.

It just goes to show you, you never buy a full size pick-up with a V6 though.