Thread: Power Twist Link Belts for Lathe

Power Twist Link Belts for Lathe

I've been having some vibration issues with my Delta lathe (46-204). The V belt is most likely the original one and has some set to it. It would be much easier if I didn't have to take the headstock apart to replace a belt. Any reason not to replace it with a link belt? Thanks for any advice.

I don't think they will work to well. My brother tried one on his older delta with a reeves drive and it well lets just say it was a disaster. other than that it is the only experience I have them.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Reside on a farm south of Churchbridge, Saskachewan, Ca

Not sure but

I think that the link belts may be too hard or firm to work well with reeves drives. It does work very well on my General EVS.

I used to have a reeves drive lathe and though the belt at times caused vibration it got so that new belts did not change the vibration.

I think a lot of reeves drive lathes simply vibrate from wear in the drive it's self.

Compared to the variable belt drive systems I have worked with on farm equipment the reeves lathe drives are rather crappy in quality and work ok for occasional use. But for a lathe that is used a lot they require a lot of maintaining.
    Keep them clean and well lubricated to get maximum life.

My 1 1/2 cents worth: Denis

More detailed info

My lathe doesn't have have a Reeves drive, just a 4 step pulley system.

Reside on a farm south of Churchbridge, Saskachewan, Ca

then it work perfectly

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes the link style belting will work very nicely for your lathe.

Denis

In that case, by all means a link belt will work. I did the same for the same reason, didn't want to break the headstock.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

35 Miles From Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Fenner P-twist II on my bandsaw, my drill press, had it on my restored C-man TS, restored Dunlap scroll saw & my old Delta lathe.
    I'm getting it for my belt sander and my "new" old Delta lathe.

Yep, I like em and they work great

4-step pulley with linkbelt here.
    Works better than a regular belt. The regular belts would take on a set from non use and then vibrate badly.