Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Fox Classic, Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Anyone know the exact front rail length on the SF Classic? Thought I saw somewhere they are 57", but I can't find it!

I too have the 4511, and I don't like the split rail either, but my other problem is my shop is ~ 7' 6" wide, so 7' rails won't work for me!!
    They offer two sizes. The stock rails are 54", for 26" rip capacity on the right, 10" on the left....I slid the rails right 10" to get 36" right side rip, 0" on the left.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    They offer two sizes. The stock rails are 54", for 26" rip capacity on the right, 10" on the left....I slid the rails right 10" to get 36" right side rip, 0" on the left.

Thanks Scott!!! That just about settles my decision to go with the shop fox classic... should solve both my issues with the stock fence!

Dan, thanks for that.. I have a solid surface top I got at Lowes (normally $300, got it for $20, yay me!) sitting around that I was wondering what I could use it for.. Got to measure it again, but pretty sure it'll fit..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    What sucks about it? The magnified curser was horrible.
    My Bies cursors weren't much better (couldn't be my eyes ). Harbor Freight $1 bargain bin to the rescue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Another solution for the cursor problem:

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

7. I replaced the cursor with a Biesemeyer cursor from MikesTools.com, which minimized the parallax. I also replaced the self-stick plastic tape measure with an aluminum one from Rockler. Other than that, the fence is really solid.

I have a Grizzly G1023 that I bought in 2000. This was the first or second year that they put the Shop Fox classic on this saw. I really like the fence. No problems with it. It is easy to adjust.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I've got the Wixey gauge on the factory rail and love it.. Makes it very easy to get to the right spot.. Though, I have had it loose track of where it was when moving the fence too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    Now.. I know that I just asked about the Vega, but I'm starting to second guess that choice and have gone to the next in line..

I PROMISE not to ask about the Unifence or Biesemeyer as there's plenty of info online for that, as well as an active topic currently.

Shop Fox classic came to mind as I can get the 7' rail version for what seems to be a really good price and it comes with legs, unlike other long rails which make you buy the legs separately for $50+ more or so.

Seems like the classic is one of those fences that has been imitated many times over, no? And my understanding is that it's a solid fence.

So what about down sides.. What sucks about it?

Technically the R4511 comes with a Shop Fox clone, but that split rail is annoying as crud.

So what do you think? Or is the new alumi fence a better fence to go with, if indeed one was to go Shop Fox?
    I did a Vega upgrade on the C-Man Saw I started with. It was a great fence, far better than what came on the saw. I later purchased the shop fox version of the 1023. It came with the Shop Fox classic. I like the construction / weight better. The only issue I had was the magnifier lens. Having owned both, I'd go with the Shop Fox..
    Good Luck.. Clint

Now that's what I call a side by side.. Thanks for the input..

Thanks, Cary. I get the idea. Will put that on my list of things to do. Seems like I work more on the shop than in the shop . . .