Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job site radio for the workshop

I've got the Makita - I wish I would have gotten the Dewalt on sale at HD for the same price. The Makita won't charge your batteries, only run from them. The speakers are on opposite sides and they distort easily. Power cord is not built into it, so possibility of losing it.

My neighbor gave me an old stereo with a 50 disk CD player and I had two big ol' Jensen speakers, from the 70's. I have them in my shop and it works great. Total cost... 0! I like the yard sale idea suggested to you myself.
    Robbie

Good pair of speakers and an iPod or equivalent with FM reception if you need radio. I have a 1980's vintage Fisher boom box in my shop covered in dust and paint, nothing works but the speakers and radio and that's good enough for me. It does have an input if I want to plug in an mp3 player or CD player as well.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Unless you want charging capabilities there is no way I would pay the premium. As others suggested, get a regular radio. My brother in law has had the same receiver in his shop (with NO DC) for the last 10 years. It is CAKED in dust and runs like Forrest.

I put flush mount speakers in the four corners of the ceiling and a yard sale tuner receiver. I can run my TV, IPOD, and CD/DVD/VHS through it. I had to hook an FM and AM antennas up to it. It has moderate to great sound where ever I go in the shop. Don't need to have it as loud cause it's not coming from a single source. Don't need to have flush mount speakers. In my old shop I used old car stereo speakers. When I built the new shop I bought the flush mount at a close out sale.

I use a good but older Sony boombox in the shop, handed down to me from my kids. They have moved on to iPods, iPhones and big car sound systems. I don't worry about dust because I don't use the CD player; only the FM radio. It's hung on a nail on the wall, where I found the best reception to be!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I bought a reconditioned surround sound system for around $75. It allows for good volume, great sound, 4 speakers, center speaker, sub, and remote. I just blow the dust off it from time to time. It has worked great. Most "job site" radios sound fine for listening to a football or baseball game, but lack good sound and volume for quality music.

Radio

Skip

The Milwaukee radio has already been blasted but I just ordered a combo package from HD online for $79 with free shipping. I think tax is about $5.50. It's the Milwaukee 12v li-ion drill/driver packaged with their radio. I really wasn't interested in the radio. The drill was rated #1 for 12v cordless drills by Wood Magazine and the big box stores are selling it for $149 all day. Comes with 2 batteries. So I got the drill I was looking for at half price and they're throwing in the boom box.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Jucha View Post
    Skip

The Milwaukee radio has already been blasted but I just ordered a combo package from HD online for $79 with free shipping. I think tax is about $5.50. It's the Milwaukee 12v li-ion drill/driver packaged with their radio. I really wasn't interested in the radio. The drill was rated #1 for 12v cordless drills by Wood Magazine and the big box stores are selling it for $149 all day. Comes with 2 batteries. So I got the drill I was looking for at half price and they're throwing in the boom box.
    I saw that last night on HD's website, but they have it listed as sold out. I'm keeping an eye on it though. I wanted to get one of those drills anyway. I'm going to try going to the local HD tomorrow and see if they have the combo in stock and see if they'll sell it to me for the internet price.

If its just going to be in the shop I'm curious as to why you want a jobsite radio? I put some old bookshelf Sony system up on a shelf and it works great. Has an aux-in to hook up my ipod. You could probably get something like that at a thrift store for very cheap.

11. I've got the bosch unit as well. I picked it up used from a guy with a battery for $100. The unit definitely is heavier than probably all the other models, but this one is built to last. Good sound volume/quality and I like the fact it doubles as a charger since I've got mostly bosch cordless.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Which cordless tools do you use, most of them function as chargers when plugged in. I have a Dewalt but just use it outside the shop, have old stereo equipment in the shop, but use it as a third charger in the shop.
    It should be noted that this is NOT true as far as I know. Dewalt (I believe) has the patent on this feature and only Bosch licenses it from them. The Makita, Ridgid, and Milwaukee will not charge tool batteries. Some will charge ipods or cell phones, but that is a different deal.

My advice is worth what you paid for it. But I suggest that anyone looking for a jobsite radio to use as a second charger do some research to make sure that the radio you are buying can actually do that before plunking down the cash.