Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinewood Derby Car

Pinewood Derby Car

Any one have any ideas for a pinewood derby car. Thinking of using the laser to help marking etc.

Thanks
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Doug,

Let your imagination run wild.

In all my years with the scouts, I've seen quite a few. I've seen cars shaped like a cell phone, an electric razor, a box of kitchen matches, and every kind of car design you could think of.

Just go with it and have fun.....
    ---------------------
    ULS VersaLASER 2.30, 25Watt, Blue
    Corel Draw X4
    Standing on first base with a hockey stick waiting for a field goal.

Flames!! Lots of flames!

Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve
    48" ValueJet, 54" Vinyl Cutter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrick David View Post
    Flames!! Lots of flames!

3D flames, with shading
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

If I was doing this for my kid, I'd make 2. One for me made by me, and one for him - made by him. Maybe I'm being petulant, but it bothers me that these contests are largely between dad's and not the kids...

For the one made by me for me: +1 on the flames, weight near the back, and new wheels/axles with more slip than the brads they supply u with.

Blog Entries
    Shawn,

Agreed. The best thing one can do for their child is instruct them as to the best (and often not-so-best) method, as well as explain why you chose that method over others. Unless it's dangerous work (e.g., bandsaw), the child should be the one doing the actual construction. Lend a helping hand, when necessary, but let them do the work. Even if it comes out with glue strands stuck to every side, the cockpit lopsided, and the stickers on crooked, they'll take a lot more pride in it and learn a lot in the process.

I probably would not be able to do everything from rebuild an engine to lay a house's foundation had my father not instilled such qualities in me through that same thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I probably would not be able to do everything from rebuild an engine to lay a house's foundation had my father not instilled such qualities in me through that same thought process.
    I'm 25, on my own and very capable of handling projects alone, but I still ask for a guiding hand from my dad. He's helping me lay tile tomorrow. Any large project that requires two sets of hands, it's usually he and I. That's the way it's been since I could walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    If I was doing this for my kid, I'd make 2. One for me made by me, and one for him - made by him. Maybe I'm being petulant, but it bothers me that these contests are largely between dad's and not the kids...

For the one made by me for me: +1 on the flames, weight near the back, and new wheels/axles with more slip than the brads they supply u with.
    Hopefully if the dad's make their own for fun it doesn't show up the kid's effort.

What they ought to do is have a kids and a seperate division for parents.
    That way both can have their fun!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

There was a commercial recently (maybe an insurance commercial?) that focused on a pinewood derby race where a father and son were on a team. The father let his son build the car the way he wanted it. They fast forwarded to race day and other teams had professional looking derby cars while the father and son had what they put together. The son saw all the others and had a look of sadness. They placed all cars on the ramp and let them go. The car the son built won. The look of happiness on the kid's face for taking first place ended the commercial.

I tried a quick YouTube search, but couldn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    What they ought to do is have a kids and a seperate division for parents.
    That way both can have their fun!
    Here, here!
    My son's 5 - a couple years too young for this, but I'm already fighting back the urge to 'help' him too much when the time comes. I could EASILY be "THAT" dad.

Blog Entries
    For Chanukkah (or Christmas, depends upon which one of us you ask) I picked up 5 LEGO kits for my 7-yo step-daughter, starting from a sub-40-piece model in a plastic bag to a 200-piece+ model in a proper box. We started with the small kit, and I helped her decide which piece was needed with each step... how to differentiate the different colors, counting rows/columns of "dots", looking for differences in the pics from step 'X' to the next, etc. I also helped her do the majority of the second kit. By the third kit it was "I'll provide help when you need it, but I'm not doing the work for you".

She's currently working on putting together Darth Vader's Anniversary-edition TIE Fighter with 250+ pieces. Most of her help requests have been finding pieces that fell on the floor. Other than that, she's about half way through and loves to show me her progress.

2311 Loveless Street, Guntersville, AL 35976

Bingo!

Not an insurance company commercial, but close

What does your son love to do. Make the car's theme around that. Let him take the lead on the design.

If he loves skateboarding....let him make it look like a skateboard. If he's into video games.... make it look like a controller, or a monster on his favorite game.

Two key things on the car. (1) Max the weight and make sure you (2) polish the axles and wheels.

Gordon
    Epilog Helix 24 - 60 Watt,
    Electrox 20 Watt,
    CorelDraw x6,

That's what we did when I was a scout leader. We held the scout's tournament, then a separate tournament for the leaders and adults who wanted to enter. It was really fun that way.
    ---------------------
    ULS VersaLASER 2.30, 25Watt, Blue
    Corel Draw X4
    Standing on first base with a hockey stick waiting for a field goal.