Thread: chuck question,,,

chuck question,,,

I'm a beginner and I have 2 chucks. One is a Stronghold by Oneway. I've used it and like it. The other is a Nova Chuck 50mm. The Nova is New in the Box.

Is there any reason why I would ever need both of these? I'm thinking of selling the Nova to put towards some other tools.

Which chuck is better?

Also, I have a Craftsman 6.5" 4 jaw chuck. Is that worth keeping either if I have these nicer chucks?

Thanks,,

I can only say one can never have too many chucks - if you change jaws on your chuck body, which really annoys me (I have limited time like most folks and hate to spend even a small amount doing that ). I have two, one for each lathe, and feel I 'need' two more.

All I can say is I have and use 5. All with different size jaws. Wish I had just one more...Bill...

Yup, it's not possible to have enough chucks. I need to go order another Stronghold right now. The craftsman is, however, useless. Dump that one. (I have one kicking around in a junk box somewhere. It's not worth the effort.)

You cannot have too many chucks(or too many tools). Maybe the Craftsman can be used as the base for a donut chuck or something.

You only need 1 chuck. Send the Nova to me...

You can never too many chucks or clamps. I have 3 chucks. Plus that Crapsman 4 jaw non-scroller. I'm thinking I COULD use it for off center turnings, but have not done so yet. It may serve better as an anchor for my kayak.

I only have one and wish I had two or three

Tom - Welcome to the Creek!

Most of us will agree that it is nice to have more than one chuck! It's not that you need them - it's just nice to have options.

The Oneway Stronghold chuck is considered by many as one of the best chucks out there - so be sure to hang onto that one!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

thanks all for the help. I will keep both chucks even though they are different. I'll deal with that confusion I guess if it causes any.

tom

I have 4 chucks with different jaws on each. I am going to get one more and should be set. I hate changing jaws.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hildebrand View Post
    thanks all for the help. I will keep both chucks even though they are different. I'll deal with that confusion I guess if it causes any.

tom
    You won't have any trouble adjusting to the chucks being different. I do the same thing and it is no problem.

Over time you will undoubtedly start to accumulate more sets of jaws for different jobs and such. It is a good idea to pick a chuck model (or two) that works the best for you and to stay with those. That allows you to buy jaws from the same family. Otherwise you end up collecting a lot of duplicate jaws from different brands. The Teknatool jaws fit all of their models. Beware that the Stronghold uses different jaw sets than the other Oneway chucks.