Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet oil less compressor for air assist?

Quiet oil less compressor for air assist?

I am looking for a quiet, oil less air compressor to run the air assist on my Universal VSL 230. I think the air assist needs to be around 30 lbs. continuous. It will be in kind of an office environment and I need it to be quiet. Ideally it would be able to run for extended periods of time during the day. Inexpensive would be great if that is possible.
    I did a search about this but many of the posts are out of date. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    ULS VLS230
    Roland MDX-40
    CorelDraw X3 and X5
    ArtCam
    MasterCam
    Thermwood Model 40 4'x8' CNC

See this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131085

I just got the big brother to the compressor that Dee Gallo has, and yes, it is very quiet...quite a bit quieter than the laser actually.

(Now I just need the air-assist cone and the hose fitting...both backordered from ULS, go figure.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I thought air assist had to be factory installed.

Can you list the parts you are getting? Is it difficult to figure out?
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

If it's operating in "kind of a office environment" and your engraving stuff that needs an air assist, I would think that noise would only be one of your smaller problems..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    Lee,

Which one did you pick up?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Joe: I have sourced a very nice 4.6 gallon, oil free compressor that runs at 55 decibels, and provides 4.4 CFM @ 90 PSI. It sells for $500.00 shipped to your facility.

Universal Lasers' Air Assist has a Dual Channel design. One line flows through a Nozzle or Back Sweep and the second line provides air flow at the Beam Window, The number 2 mirror box and, finally at the focus carriage to protect the #3 mirror and the cutting lens. This all means that you need a compressor that produces 50 PSI @ 2-2.5 CFM flow rate minimum.

Please feel free to PM with questions.
    Last edited by John Volkmar; 01-29-2010 at 8:53 AM.

Hi Dave, your VLS4.60 DOES need to come from the factory with Air Assist installed. The Desktop versions from Universal are already set up with Air-Assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Lee,

Which one did you pick up?
    The TC60. (I got the kit with the 3 airbrushes and hoses, just to have one more learning curve to waste time on.) More power/volume than the TC18 Dee got, but same noise spec, and a price below my impulse-buy pain threshold.

Based on what I'm reading here, it may not put out enough volume to be an optimal air-assist source (certainly not enough to meet ULS's specs), but since I haven't had any air-assist so far (five years), it's worth a try. Won't know for sure until I can score the extra parts to hook it up.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Volkmar View Post
    Hi Joe: I have sourced a very nice 4.6 gallon, oil free compressor that runs at 55 decibels, and provides 4.4 CFM @ 90 PSI. It sells for $500.00 shipped to your facility.

Universal Lasers' Air Assist has a Dual Channel design. One line flows through a Nozzle or Back Sweep and the second line provides air flow at the Beam Window, The number 2 mirror box and, finally at the focus carriage to protect the #3 mirror and the cutting lens. This all means that you need a compressor that produces 50 PSI @ 2-2.5 CFM flow rate minimum.

Please feel free to PM with questions.
    Thanks for the info. I have an air assist "cone" for my VLS230 coming from ULS. It was $140 and I couldn't figure out why it was so expensive. Based on what you describe above, I understand the cost a little better now.
    Joe
    ULS VLS230
    Roland MDX-40
    CorelDraw X3 and X5
    ArtCam
    MasterCam

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    See this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131085

I just got the big brother to the compressor that Dee Gallo has, and yes, it is very quiet...quite a bit quieter than the laser actually.

(Now I just need the air-assist cone and the hose fitting...both backordered from ULS, go figure.)
    Lee,
    By the big brother do you mean the
    Compressor Model TC-60

That is $129+/-?
    Joe
    ULS VLS230
    Roland MDX-40
    CorelDraw X3 and X5
    ArtCam
    MasterCam

I notice that the compressors mentioned have a 5-30 +/- psi "working pressure". Is this sufficient to run the air assist on the Universal VLS230?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    ULS VLS230
    Roland MDX-40
    CorelDraw X3 and X5
    ArtCam
    MasterCam

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Peacock View Post
    I have an air assist "cone" for my VLS230 coming from ULS. It was $140 and I couldn't figure out why it was so expensive. Based on what you describe above, I understand the cost a little better now.
    Or not: you already paid for the plumbing John describes when you bought your machine.

The price isn't exorbitant, but I suspect it still qualifies as a "high-profit part".

Lee,
    By the big brother do you mean the
    Compressor Model TC-60

That is $129+/-?
    Joe
    Yup: see post #8. It's the biggest one on that site before the noise rating starts climbing.

Anybody use this one? (http://www.airbrushcity.com/comp45/)
    ARIES Model # A111 Just a Little Bit of Dynamite! Fully Automatic 57 PSI Only 5.8 Pounds

• QUIET OPERATION! 58 db
    • Adjustable Air Pressure Regulator
    • Oil-Less - Oil free operation
    • 1/8 BSP & 1/4 BSP & NPT airline connection
    • Auto ON @ 43 PSI - Auto OFF @ 57 PSI
    • 110/120 Volts - 1/6th HP
    • Weight: 5.8 lbs
    • Size: W 6" x D 6" x H 5"
    • 2 Year Warranty

Click on photos to enlarge
    So Small
    Fits in Palm of Hand
    Super Special
    Bonus - Includes
    Thread adapters for 1/4" NPT and 1/4 BSP to connect almost any Airline.
    Plus Moisture Filter

$99.50

Last edited by Joe Peacock; 01-29-2010 at 10:26 AM.
    ULS VLS230
    Roland MDX-40
    CorelDraw X3 and X5
    ArtCam
    MasterCam

Anybody use this one?
    QUIET OPERATION! 58 db
    Like I said: twice as loud.