Thread: New Craftsman Planer

New Craftsman Planer

Has anyone seen the new planer Sears/Craftsman has come out with? I was looking through my new flier and they list/show a 13" planer that is supposed to have granite feed tables and a spiral cutter head. I wasn't able to find it online yet. The sale starts Sunday and I am curious as to the cutter head. They have it listed at $533 and also have a 10% off coupon for one item. It sounds like something I may want to check out. Any thoughts???

This?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=planer

Not the price you listed, but it does have the granite.

Marty,
    Its on Sears website, but you might want to read the review in the March Issue of Wood Magazine. With the optional segmented cutter head you are at $750. I have the DW 735, and highly recommend you look at that one. It was rated the "Top Tool" by Wood.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

That Sears model has a 2 1/2" chip collection port on it. No 4"?

I also recommend the DW 735 planer. I have had one for just about over 1 year and it has performed great. I have heard that HD is getting rid of them, so you might be able to get a deal. I got mine for around $400 last year, but I saw that the price is back up to $600 at Lowes. If you do get the DW 735 I highly reocmmend getting the optional in-feed / out-feed tables for another $60. They have virtually eliminated all of my snipe. I would love a spril cutter head, but so far my blades have done me well.

Don't get sucked in by the granite fad. Yep, it is stable and rust free, but it will chip/crack without careful use. Look at the RIDGID table saw that has been discontinued at HD. Ask 'em why it was dumped.
    Granite makes wonderful surface plates, but I'll stick with "arn" for WWing tabletops.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Catelog says item number is 81158 and the sale starts on 31 Jan. Will have to look it up in the morning.