Thread: Dust Collection Advice Requested

Dust Collection Advice Requested

All,
    Hobbyist, garage based woodworker here who could use some dust collection advice. I currently have the wall mounted rockler dust collection that's rated at 650 CFM with the 5 micron bag. I run that through the 4 inch 4-foot extendable hose to a single tool at a time. The tools I use it on are a dewalt planer, 6" benchtop Delta joiner, Benchtop Kreg router table, Skilbench downdraft table, and Sawstop contractor saw. Additionally i have a jet air filter in the garage as well.

I get awesome collection from the jointer and planer - obviously because they are enclosed and the blower in the dewalt planer. Not bad collection from the router table on the top but i get a lot of dust from underneath the unit. Decent collection on the sawstop but again seem to get a pretty good pile underneath the saw as well as a lot of top of the saw dust. Hard to tell with the downdraft table.

My goal is obviously to improve dust collection so that i have less dust on the floor in the garage. I want better under and over t-saw collection and under router collection. Quite frankly i'd like to almost eliminate it but i know that's probably just a pipe dream.

My question is: will i get a significant benefit by upgrading to a 1100-1200 CFM dust collector unit? I'm considering the Jet 1100 CFM or Delta 1200 CFM units. I would still run the unit mobile with shorter hose to each tool, single tool at a time.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Obviously the more airflow the better collection that you are going to get. Things that you need to take into consideration are like the table saw blade collection and under the router table. Without some sort of enclosure around the router on the bottom, you are never going to get it all. That is fact. And the blade, do you have the new Sawstop blade guard with the hose connection? If yes, then more CFM should help.. If you dont, then you are going to need some sort of over the blade DC like the Excalibur or the Penn State blade guard to get all the dust. I have that planer and it works great. The jointer, I cant speak for it. But all in all, more is generally better. But you cant choke it off with small hose either.
    Chuck

3. Have you considered a cyclone?

The simple answer is yes. You can get more improvement by upgrading your piping as well. You may also want to consider the Grizzly units you can get more for less with them, and if you have 240v then the Griz 3hp version is 524 shipped, you can add canister filters and a Thien baffle later for even better dust collection.

Brian,

If you haven't yet spent some time at http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm, doing so is highly recommended.

Willing to run a single tool, or even two the Delta or Jet probably be fine but I sure would look real hard at the 2 hp PSI DC2000 if you have 220 available. It sure is quiter than the 2 mentioned above and I believe factually has more flow. Basing on my experience on same runs to the tools - but no meter. Just based on whats left, if any, at the tools
    It the one I currently have in use and short of a cyclone, which I don't need nor care to fund either, the prefered unit of the 4 I have had. Liked the old Grizz 1029 years ago too but this one is way quiter, stronger and better bags standard. Wynn cartridge always option on any.

Only issue might be that 220 outlet. Simple to run the line if not. Good luck - confusing topic as so much info around. And so much that is not necessarily pertinent to what many of us (f)actually want or need in the end. Makes for interesting reading anyway I guess

You can save some real money by making your own above blade dc - lots of info on home made ones abounds out there. Or as Chuck said - the ones he metioned all work as intended .
    Incorporating it into the router table not to hard.
    Just don't scrimp to much on the dc unit if/when it becomes need - the Delta, Jet, Griz and that PennState all dang good units. I also myself use the Penn DC2000 with bag on top, can under and very pleased. I had a cannister on top but it bit the dust - my fault. That worked well too before the accident
    A cyclone would be dandy if you have money galore and need one. I'm yet to be convinced it will be "better" at collection but realize it will collect more at greater distances if that makes sense.

Why not go "home made" above TS collection, make a simple under table cabinet for router with a 4" port and then decide if you want to upgrade the collector? Maybe this would be enough with what you have? I think it might be a bit lacking and a larger dc be in order but how does one know yet? And the 2 collection points need to be done anyway so ..... get that done and then attack what the need be, it it exists?