Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 350bf of sweetgum for 50 bucks.

I like to turn Gum but only the heart wood. My experience has been that the sap wood is rather bland but the heart wood is really nice, often with black streaks in it like some of the ebonies. I look for Gum with a large proportion of heart wood whenever I'm out scrounging wood but unfortunately most of the trees I find in our area have very little heart wood. I took down a 20" tree in our back yard several years ago and it had only 6 inches of heart wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert gree View Post
    thanks for the info all,

Also i can also only get about 300BF in my shop anything wrong with story in the attic?

Attic storage is a great way to store wood. The heat from the attic helps to keep the wood around 6% MC.

idk what to do with it though

just tell me where to pick it up...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Attic storage is a great way to store wood. The heat from the attic helps to keep the wood around 6% MC.

Sorry for the hijack...

I have stored wood in my shop attic plenty of times with no ill effects. I have a bunch of extra bamboo 5/8" flooring and my flooring guy said NOT to store it in the attic, he had no reason other than the heat ruins flooring, didn't bother questioning it. Anyone stored flooring in the attic?

At 10 cents per BF, I'm sure you will find some uses for it. As to what you could use it for.......let me GUM it over for awhile and I'll get back to you.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bullock View Post
    At 10 cents per BF, I'm sure you will find some uses for it. As to what you could use it for.......let me GUM it over for awhile and I'll get back to you.
    Sounds good.

things i wouldnt mind building out of it

Entertainment center.
    Desk
    Workbench
    Toolbox

think it would work for the above?

This sounds like a lot of money to pay for kindling. You may throw about half of that sweet gum in the woodstove.

Good luck with it. That stuff moves-a lot.

Gum wood was a popular choice for interior trim in houses near Boston 100 or so years ago. It was usually left natural and finished with shellac. It's quite beautiful when darkened with age and is very prized around here among old house enthusiasts.

Jason

i have no experience with this lumber at all. All i know is if i get it by tommorow its 50 bucks for 350BF it is dry.

What can i do with this lumber?

here is a picture of said lumber

A few years ago, I believe Fine Woodworking Magazine, done an article on sweet gum. It's was well worth reading. As I remember the article went into the history of how America used to use a lot of sweet gum (red gum) in the early days, i.e, trim (mostly). They also showed a picture at the end of the article of a Danish Style (?) cabinet built many years ago. The article mentioned Europeans still treasure the wood and seems like they consider it as a cheap alternative to Walnut. The article also expounded on the properties of Gum, things you need to know about how and why it moves around so much.

My neighbor, a logger, got an order for a large sum of gum trees a few summers ago. It was slated to be sawed into large timbers, and from what I understand they were to be attached edge to edge to lay flat to enable drilling companies to move heavy equipment over swampy areas.

If you look for the Fine Woodworking article and don't have any luck, try Wood magazine, I subscribed to both at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Robert

I was looking at cutting and drying some Gum trees and was told it was trash. Its best quarter cut because of its warping. I suppose it may continue some warping after build. At that price Id be game though.

Quote Originally Posted by raul segura View Post
    I was looking at cutting and drying some Gum trees and was told it was trash.
    I get told the same thing about a lot of trees around here. IME, most loggers around don't have much experience in woodworking, and only see value in cherry, walnut, hard maple, and oak that they can resell to sawmills who have large orders for commonly used hardwoods.

Most will also tell you that osage orange, locust, and spalted maple are trash wood as well, but I really like to use each of those, if the tree is big enough to justify hiring a sawyer.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Robert gree View Post
    i have no experience with this lumber at all. All i know is if i get it by tommorow its 50 bucks for 350BF it is dry.

What can i do with this lumber?

here is a picture of said lumber
    Since you are only paying $50 for it, you are doing well even if 1/2 of it is not usable.. Get it and build something small out of it. See how it works.

I used some sweetgum for some bedroom furniture i built last year. I used black walnut for the majority of the pieces and the sweetgum for the drawer sides. This sweetgum looked like some spaulted maple,very pretty. The only downside was the stuff was tough to plane. It is a dense wood sort of like maple or birch. I say buy it, use it ,and learn!

We used Sweet Gum for siding Pole Barns for hay storage ... We never used it for much else ... warp to much and was hard as all get out when dry. Drove nails with sledge hammer! We also ran a lumber yard and no one really wanted to buy gum!
    Leo