Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kreg Klamp Table

Looking great matt. When it is not in use clamp a white board to it for drawing out ideas and notes.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Your clamp rack is really looking good Matt. Your welding talents are really paying off.

Great job, Sam

Mike I was already thinking the melamine might work as-is for a whiteboard!

Matt -- very nice

I want to put this on my future projects list - at least the table. And, thanks for listing the parts!

You have spoken previously about welding equipment -- would you mind commenting on what you used on this project.

I have not welded in 25 years. I bought a Lincoln 220v wire feed welder a couple of years ago -- and have never used it. From what I understand I really need the gas setup for it. But others have said a small arc welder is the way to go ??

I have a metal fabrication business not that far from me -- so all the steel is available to --- but with all the difference sizes -- I would not know what to even get ??

Any guidance would be great - Thanks

5. Looking good Matt! I like the Whiteboard idea. You guys come up with some great ideas.

I am going to try to make a smaller version of your table. I don't have quite the space that you have, so the tilting/folding design is going to work well for me.

Thanks again, Bill

6. Tom, your 220v mig with gas is the way to go. Arc is so slow, messy (chipping slag, and constantly cleaning welds) and unless you are welding heavy steel (1/2" and up) where you need to burn in root passes and multi layered welds, you don't need an arc welder. Hope that helps.

Matt, I have two more questions for you.

1. Did you ever figure out what to do regarding dust collection, on the Kreg Foreman. I saw your other post regarding this.

2. I also found your post asking about a stock feeder. Did you decide on/get one?

Thanks, Bill

Good god Matt, you always have some sort of significant shop project going on. If only one day I could end up with a shop like yours I would die a happy man. Keep up the good work and inspiration for others. BTW, is W.W. your job or hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Godley View Post
    You have spoken previously about welding equipment -- would you mind commenting on what you used on this project.

I have not welded in 25 years. I bought a Lincoln 220v wire feed welder a couple of years ago -- and have never used it. From what I understand I really need the gas setup for it. But others have said a small arc welder is the way to go ??
    I've got a 220 mig with gas--a Hobart Handler 180. Definitely the way to go for an amateur/beginner like me. I've had really good success with it as thin as 16ga. I'm sure thinner would work too, but I just haven't had a need so I haven't tried it yet

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson View Post
    Matt, I have two more questions for you.

1. Did you ever figure out what to do regarding dust collection, on the Kreg Foreman. I saw your other post regarding this.

2. I also found your post asking about a stock feeder. Did you decide on/get one?
    1. Haven't yet. A friend gave me a metal cabinet that's going to work nicely for it and I might add a chute inside of that.

2. No I haven't, at least yet. The Grizzly baby feeder went off sale which is what I was looking at. I'd like to and if I found a good deal I might.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Good god Matt, you always have some sort of significant shop project going on. If only one day I could end up with a shop like yours I would die a happy man. Keep up the good work and inspiration for others. BTW, is W.W. your job or hobby?
    Yep, always something going on. Right now I've got a lot of projects that were either on hold or dreamed up while working on the kitchen. Not too much woodworking either--needed a bit of a break! Its a hobby--my day job is software.

I was going to build the Shopnotes (106) version now I am torn...
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 02-28-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    Matt you are always building things that I end up adding to my "to build" list. Thanks for the inspiration. Could you elaborate on the kit you bought for $149? There is not a rockler store in my area and I checked the woodcraft and rockler sites, the have the table only. Not the kit. Thanks!

Paul, I couldn't find anyone selling the kit I bought anywhere but at The Woodworking Show. Bad Dog Tools runs the Kreg booth at those shows according to my receipt but they don't show Kreg stuff on their site.

The kit contained
    Long rails (2)
    Bench Klamps (2)
    Klamp plate that goes in your bench (1)
    Alignment blocks (1 set)
    Bag of nuts and bolts

I added 2 more of the Bench Klamps

For those not going to the show, You can easily assemble the parts straight from amazon. The nuts and bolts can be bought at any hardware retailer. Amazon has good prices on the clamps.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I actually didn't even use the bolts they included because they had a pan head and I wanted mine countersunk. Plus the ones they include assume the base is 1" material like the Kreg table. A 1-1/4" 1/4-20 machine screw was perfect.

Other than welding some already-cut diagonal braces between the cross-brace and uprights, its basically done. Then its time for Kreg-blue paint. Holy cow I forgot how heavy the top is! I could barely get it on there myself.

I worked out the braces to hold the top out which can be seen in the closeup. Basically just a piece of angle to catch the arm. If it proves to be an issue I'll drill a hole and stick a pin through. With the top on (i.e. a lot of weight) its very sturdy and not at all prone to tipping. While the casters could change the dynamics slightly I think they'll be fine since they are right out at the corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good Matt! You are getting that finished very quickly. I need to look through the thread and find the measurements again. I have been thinking (I know), about trying to incorporate the table into the extension table of my tablesaw. I just don't have room for the size of table you made, although it would be nice. I have been looking at pricing of the tracks and clamps, maybe I can get started in the next week.

Thanks for the updates.

Bill