Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: aspire gathering in columbia sc

Keith,
    How sharp can you bend a corner??

Thanks for posting the links.

Nick

You didn't sneak this one by me, Jim! Thanks so much for organizing and hosting this event. Count me in and I'll bring along my partner in crime since he's the one who runs our CNC anyway.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

you, we all look forward to meeting!!!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post
    Keith,
    How sharp can you bend a corner??

Thanks for posting the links.

Nick
    till it breaks sorry could not pass on that one!!

when heated it is very flexible i have tied it in a knot.

jim

Thanks Jim.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Bob,

The circular disk desk signs are mostly made from scrap or leftover material as I prefer to call it Generally speaking I can pay for the full sheets I purchase from making small projects from the leftover material. Somewhere I have a picture of a blue desk sign that I put a clock insert in the back side of the disk.

Nicholas,
    I believe the Dupont Corian Installation manual says that a 3" radius is the minimum.
    The bending radius you can achieve depends on the cross section of the material. Small pieces can survive a fairly tight bend if you don't trap the material in cross section, the large cross section pieces will start to tear because they can't expand outwardly as easily. At 320 degrees F Corian gets pretty soft, almost like a wet noodle and it needs to be supported and you need good quality gloves to handle it. The ability to make custom male and female forms is where a CNC machine is invaluable for thermal bending projects. I made a ten foot long Corian sign that had to match the curve on a brick wall that it was mounted to, it had to be heated to make the bend. I found a local counter top company that had a ten foot long oven, I made my forms and took them to their shop.

As Jim mentioned you can make pretzels if that is your goal, you can also make chairs and furniture along with an unlimited number of small projects to use your left over material and create unique projects for customers. It opens up a lot of doors and potential customers will think that your shop is ten times the size when you offer what they consider to be a very high end technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Bob,

The circular disk desk signs are mostly made from scrap or leftover material as I prefer to call it Generally speaking I can pay for the full sheets I purchase from making small projects from the leftover material. .

I agree with Keith . . . there's no such thing as "scrap" solid surface material in my world! I call whatever I have left when I finish a project a remnant (sounds more expensive than scrap).

Bella Terra

I guess I left the door open for that one Jim!

Thanks Keith/Jim. Now another thing to add to the list of endless things!! I am going to have to hire someone so I can start playing with new things....

Belinda I like that term maybe I can start charging for my scraps of wood by changing the name!

Nick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I agree with Keith . . . there's no such thing as "scrap" solid surface material in my world! I call whatever I have left when I finish a project a remnant (sounds more expensive than scrap).
    Belinda,

You are a genius. I just tell anyone who wants stuff "There is a bunch of cr@p by the dumpster. help yourself."

By changing that phrase to, "We have many types of domestic and exotic hardwood remnants in stock and available for immediate purchase. Sizes vary, but I am positive we can accomadate you." ... I bet I can make lots of money!

Thanks Belinda! The charm of a Southern Belle beats out a New York Yankee once again!

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

yeah you can not beat a good southern woman.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jarrard View Post
    Those who do usually get arrested or get guest appearence on COPS!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mathews View Post
    Those who do usually get arrested or get guest appearence on COPS!

Man some are proud to have there 15 min of fame. I love that show its like going to the family reunion.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mathews View Post
    Belinda,

You are a genius. I just tell anyone who wants stuff "There is a bunch of cr@p by the dumpster. help yourself."

By changing that phrase to, "We have many types of domestic and exotic hardwood remnants in stock and available for immediate purchase. Sizes vary, but I am positive we can accomadate you." ... I bet I can make lots of money!

Thanks Belinda! The charm of a Southern Belle beats out a New York Yankee once again!

Guy
    Well thank you, Guy! Actually, I just borrowed the term from the fabric industry. Fabric stores have been selling remnants forever.

Scrap implies that a piece is left over and of no use.

Remnant implies that a piece is the only remainder of something of value.

Stone yards only sell remnants, never scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jarrard View Post

Actually, Joey, you can beat a good southern woman but I'd think twice if I were you. There are several probable outcomes to this scenario.
    1. She hits back and actually whips your butt.
    2. She gets you drunk, wraps you in a sheet, and whips up on you with a sock full of quarters.
    3. She waits until you are asleep and superglues various parts of your body to other parts of your body.
    4. She shoots you in your sleep.
    5. If she is a true Southern Belle she will not dirty her hands and her father, brother, uncles, cousins, etc., will take care of you.

Regardless, it's probably going to end up as a Springer episode.

Bella Terra

Sounds like a good Georgia Friday Night
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Well thank you, Guy! Actually, I just borrowed the term from the fabric industry. Fabric stores have been selling remnants forever.

Scrap implies that a piece is left over and of no use.

Remnant implies that a piece is the only remainder of something of value.

Stone yards only sell remnants, never scrap.

Actually, Joey, you can beat a good southern woman but I'd think twice if I were you. There are several probable outcomes to this scenario.
    1. She hits back and actually whips your butt.
    2. She gets you drunk, wraps you in a sheet, and whips up on you with a sock full of quarters.
    3. She waits until you are asleep and superglues various parts of your body to other parts of your body.
    4. She shoots you in your sleep.
    5. If she is a true Southern Belle she will not dirty her hands and her father, brother, uncles, cousins, etc., will take care of you.

Regardless, it's probably going to end up as a Springer episode.
    To add to what Belinda said.

Lorena Bobbit was a southern woman. OUCH!