Thread: Best way to clean off burn after 3D carving?

Best way to clean off burn after 3D carving?

Has anyone found a good way to clean off the burnt wood after 3D carving? The pictures on ganryco dot com look amazingly clean, but I can't get clean results like that on my 3D carvings. They say to use a toothbrush and water.... wow. I don't get it. I have used alcohol, acetone with toothbrush and even steel wool. Its a lot better, but nothing like their picutures show. I actually like the cleaned burnt look, but there are times when won't want it and would be nice to know that it can be achieved, though I am skeptical. Thanks!
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

Blog Entries
    Have you tried a different type of wood? The heavier the sap content, the heavier the char... moving to a wood with less sap may allow you to brush away the reduced amount of burn.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

WIll let you know in a bit. Running a job on white mahogany, which is a pretty rare species. My previous experience was on maple mostly. I need light woods for this project. Of course, that is when its the most obvious....
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

When you do 3d use a polishing pass when you have done your main engraving , Ie a pass over the engraving at a much higher speed and lower power , this gets rid of a lot of the char and minimises ridging.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Zsolt Paul View Post
    They say to use a toothbrush and water.... wow. I don't get it. I have used alcohol, acetone with toothbrush and even steel wool.
    This might sound like a smart-alec answer, but did you actually try the water?

I just did a 3D this afternoon on maple and I used a toothbrush and water.
    It came right off. Sometimes there's a tendency to skip over the easy steps
    thinking it might be more difficult than it is. Not saying this is the case with
    you, but from the way you worded your post it made me wonder.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 01-31-2010 at 6:58 AM. Reason: changed a word

Here is an article that was published by Epilog relative to the subject.
    http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_wood_residue.htm
    Hope this helps.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Have you tried a soft brass brush, the type that they used to supply with suede shoes, they are pretty soft and able to get into the nooks and crannies.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    When you do 3d use a polishing pass when you have done your main engraving , Ie a pass over the engraving at a much higher speed and lower power , this gets rid of a lot of the char and minimises ridging.
    Great suggestion Rodne! I'm sure this would help in both cleanup as well as minimizing ridging as you said. I am going at near full speed already (100w laser) so the only bad thing aobut this is would take 2x the time to complete the job. Sometimes though I can see this will really be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    This might sound like a smart-alec answer, but did you actually try the water?

I just did a 3D this afternoon on maple and I used a toothbrush and water.
    It came right off. Sometimes there's a tendency to skip over the easy steps
    thinking it might be more difficult than it is. Not saying this is the case with
    you, but from the way you worded your post it made me wonder.
    I am humble enough (LOL) to admit I did not try the water. I am not too crazy about the idea of wetting the wood this much and I figured alcoloh will be at least as good as water if not better without raising the grain. I will at least try water.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Here is an article that was published by Epilog relative to the subject.
    Hope this helps.
    I wonder if my charring is "deeper" b/c I am using a 100w laser at 40-50 ips. 100w may burn deeper than what most folks are using.... It is pretty deep in there and just can't see how a gentle brushing some soap will remove it when hard scrubbing with steel wood and alcohol only does 50%. Of course I will try it and hope to be wrong. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Mike Null; 01-31-2010 at 6:59 AM. Reason: changed a word

3d Cleanup

On the little 3d work I have done, I used my sandblaster very lightly to clean up the burnt look. Seemed quite effective!

Quote Originally Posted by Zsolt Paul View Post
    It is pretty deep in there and just can't see how a gentle brushing some soap will remove it when hard scrubbing with steel wood and alcohol only does 50%.
    That soap also has pumice in it, which is a much more effective (and fine-grained) abrasive than steel wool.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Here is something from Epilog on exactly this subject:
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Here is something from Epilog on exactly this subject:
    And you should note that this stuff is a waterless, solvent-less cleaner, so there should be no issue of raising the grain.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Lister View Post
    On the little 3d work I have done, I used my sandblaster very lightly to clean up the burnt look. Seemed quite effective!
    I was thinking about sandblasting. Very interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    And you should note that this stuff is a waterless, solvent-less cleaner, so there should be no issue of raising the grain.
    Good points! Thanks Dee!