Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with cabinet making tools for a new person.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    Of course with my love for wood Id just as soon make each cabinet out of a different kind of wood.. wife says " absolutely no way" so that ideal got thrown out real quick..lol

I really think first you need to decide many of the cabinet particulars then decide on a tool list , since you aren't looking you set up a cabinet shop but buy tools to build a specific set.

Here is an two ideas for different wood doors, on is similar to a recent trend and the other I haven't seen used. First, build the uppers and lowers from different wood and or finishes, then trim the tops with a built up having both, very cool if the woods contrast. Second, is based on my wifes idea whch I have not built yet. Build the faces, rails and stiles out of a wood with little grain and finish in a medum neutral finish, then make the panels interchangeable with a rabbet instead of a slot. I plan for her to build simple Shaker doors then veneer up sets of flat panels using different exotics, then we can change them out on a whim. She calls them seasonal doors. Just a thought but the latter is somewhat avant-garde so it may not fit with your wife's aesthetics. We may also incorporate some stark colors as well, a Tamo ash "candy appled" in a bright color would be stunning. The first set she wants s Zebrano. I am going to teach her to veneer so she can do her own, but alas I have a long list of "order" from her so who knows when I will get around to building them.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Which blade are you using? Ant-splinter in good shape?

I agree what what you are saying every word BUT from someone just moving up from a BT3K don't you think it is a litlle much to expect them to break panels down without lots of waste?

Actually, in the end I am more concerned with the budget than anything else.
    I really don't know what blade is in there. I just don't use it often enough. It might be the one that came with it. What blade do you recommend?

Why would they get more or less waste using a track saw vs. table saw? Kerf thickness?

Isn't he going to spend about as much for the track saw system as he would for the grizz? It is on sale right now.

Random orbital sander with a complete supply of all grits of sandpaper. Nothing is more frustrating than reaching for sandpaper and not having the right grit or enough supply on hand to do a proper job. Also you might consider a HVLP spray system. If you have the room, make a dedicated finish area closed off from the rest of your shop.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Well at least at this point I know that I need to go book looking now to see what type of joinery and what type of doors and how I want the doors attached to the face.

Spend only what you need for one project. Shoe-string it as long as you can. Your eye for deals will get better over time.

Depending on what kind of doors you're going to build, I don't think that you need much more than you already have to build cabinets for your home. A nice cabinet saw would surely be nice. If you're going to build raised panel doors, the appropriate bits would be needed. Perhaps a second router would be good to have, too.

Drum sander is nice but not necessary. ROS is almost necessary, especially if you're going the power tool route, and it sounds as if you are.

You have clamps?

Decide what kind of cabinets you want to build and that will determine what other tools you need. Sounds to me like you're off to a good start, already.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I would go for the cabinet saw and (god, I hate to admit it) a Festool sanding package set-up. These are the two machines that will probably touch every single piece of wood in your project.

8. On a budget?

1. Table saw or Guided Circular saw. As long as you can make accurate/repeatable cuts.
    2. Router. If you are making paneled doors, you need a bigger router (3 hp), bits ($) and table. A nice push-stick. Otherwise, buy pre-fab doors/drawers
    3. Drill
    4. Pocket hole jig and clamp
    5. A dead accurate square and straightedge
    6. ROS
    7. Clamps and Cauls

It may not be the most efficient work you'll ever do. But you can't tell me one can't make some damn nice cabinetry with these tools. The key is to know your tools and know your limitations with those tools. Doing frameless might be a stretch with the bare minimum, however.

You need to work with square lumbar. For me, a jointer and planer is a prerequisite for quality woodworking.
    Last edited by Aaron Hastings; 01-31-2010 at 1:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hastings View Post
    On a budget?

1. Table saw or Guided Circular saw. As long as you can make accurate/repeatable cuts.
    2. Router. If you are making paneled doors, you need a bigger router (3 hp), bits ($) and table. A nice push-stick. Otherwise, buy pre-fab doors/drawers
    3. Drill
    4. Pocket hole jig and clamp
    5. A dead accurate square and straightedge
    6. ROS
    7. Clamps and Cauls

It may not be the most efficient work you'll ever do. But you can't tell me one can't make some damn nice cabinetry with these tools. The key is to know your tools and know your limitations with those tools. Doing frameless might be a stretch with the bare minimum, however.

You need to work with square lumbar. For me, a jointer and planer is a prerequisite for quality woodworking.
    I agree with Aaron. I would add some small stuff to the list:

8. A decent 2nd router for above table use and put that 3hp in a table permanently or find a shaper. A feeder is great too.
    9. I like dovetailed boxes so add a dovetail jig
    10. I would upgrade to a great tablesaw blade and SCMS blade and zero clearence inserts for the saws
    11. I would factor in a HVLP or good spray finish system.
    12. Research a decent system to install euro hinges and glides and hardware
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Karl --- Looks like some good advice is coming in. If you like the traditional look, Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets by Jim Tolpin is a good book. The book topic comes up here frequently, and there are several "usual suspects" that are mentioned as favorites.

In my earlier post, I was going (but forgot) to mention a track saw system, or just a circular saw with your shop made guide for breaking up sheets of ply into manageable sizes. Lots of us don't like to work with full sheets on a table saw, though if you have lots of room, and can build good support tables, it can be done.

If you're going to use sassafrases, that's going to be a great smelling shop for a while.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Blog Entries
    I presume with the tools you have a good dust collector is in the mix? Making a set of cabinets will generate bags of sawdust.

If you look on the Bill Pentz site and go to Wood Toxicity Table, you will see that Sassafas is nasty wood to deal with so a good dust management program is a must.

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking...icityTable.cfm

Dave there are certain things that I can do and certain things i hate to do but I absolutely love tools. Whether they are hand tools or electric. I donot have alot of money though and so I kinda look at opinions from others and it opens my eyes to different ideals and things. Right now I really dont see a feeder in my near future even though I think it would be neat. I do however see a new grizzly g1023 table saw with a 7 foot rails. I am also considering a drum sander but really scared of open ended ones and so I am looking at those real hard. I am making alot of cutting boards for sale and for gifts and I think a drum sander would really speed the process of cutting boards. I also have 4 cherry crotches that I am waiting for to dry that I will want to run thru a sander and make living room table sets out of. I do have some pocket joinery kits and honestly cant wait to use them. I have played with it just to get a feel of it and I think I will like using them. But I have to say that I have learnt something really good from most everyone who has posted there opinion so that is just great..