Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Invisible Fence

Dog Invisible Fence

Anyone put one of these in and how effective is it? My daughter has 2 dogs and she said one of them can get on top of the fence (6 ft high cedar) and hang there with her front legs over the top barking at the kids next door. Being that the fence on both sides belongs to the other neighbors she can't attach anything to the top. Is there a way to go around the yard and have a spot near the back door so they can go in and out without do a full loop back? Would be a lot easier getting rid of the dogs but I don't see that happening.

What kind of dogs does your daughter have? It makes a difference. Beagles, for example, will usually run right past an invisible fence over and over again. Most dogs get the message very quickly.

We have the Pet Safe brand which is in the $200 range plus installation, unless you want to bury hundreds of feet of wire yourself. We had about 2 acres "fenced" about 6 years ago for about $300, but wire has gotten a lot more expensive since then.

Based on a small sampling when we were looking into it, a lot depends on the dogs age too. If they are young when you get it they are more likely to obey it for life than an older dog.

The problem with an invisible fence is that they will not keep other dogs off your property.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    The problem with an invisible fence is that they will not keep other dogs off your property.
    Goo point! For that you'll need a paintball gun. (Unless you're willing to bury the dogs yourself.)

Pat, She has 2 rescued Pit Bulls which I don't think would harm a fly. The oldest is less than 2 years old.

Matt, Was there a reason you picked Pet Safe Brand? We would have maybe a total of 200 feet of wire to bury.

I'm not a pit bull expert. But based on my experience with that breed, they are very well tempered and would probably do fine with an invisible fence. I know my beagles would blow right over it every time something caught their fancy.

Because it is readily available locally, got good reviews and could be a DIY solution. We DIY'd it at our old house around about a 1/2 acre which was a lot of work. You don't really trench in the wire, just cut a slot and slip it in, but still.

You can make a crossing by twisting the wire pairs together, for example to run up to the house but I don't remember if there were suggestions on how do do something to cross a door like you need. It might be best to run it around the front, but that's a lot more work.

You can staple the wire to a fence too, if the neighbors will allow it. Along the bottom rail of a wood fence it would be essentially invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Because it is readily available locally, got good reviews and could be a DIY solution. We DIY'd it at our old house around about a 1/2 acre which was a lot of work. You don't really trench in the wire, just cut a slot and slip it in, but still.

You can make a crossing by twisting the wire pairs together, for example to run up to the house but I don't remember if there were suggestions on how do do something to cross a door like you need. It might be best to run it around the front, but that's a lot more work.

You can staple the wire to a fence too, if the neighbors will allow it. Along the bottom rail of a wood fence it would be essentially invisible.
    Matt, I found a review site and they liked the PetSafe plus the company (Radio Systems Corp.) that owns Petsafe now owns Invisible Fence Co. Also looks like PetCo sells Petsafe so being able to get it locally is a plus. I also like your idea of attaching it to the fence which would be a good option being the ground is frozen right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I'm not a pit bull expert. But based on my experience with that breed, they are very well tempered and would probably do fine with an invisible fence. I know my beagles would blow right over it every time something caught their fancy.
    It's a shame they get bad reputation because people fight them. These 2 would sit on your lap and lick your face if you let them. The male is 90 lbs. and still growing.

Since you dont have much area to worry about. Pet safe also sells a wireless fence. You dont have to bury any wire. It runs about $270, that is what I have been using for 3 years. It was well worth it. What I like best about it is when we go to lake in the summer, I just bring it along and plug it in there. The dog hears the beep on the collar once and stays clear of the boundry. It took my lab about a total of 1 hours to figure out what was going on the 1st time I plugged it in. But he had been trained on an electric collar since he was about 8 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Since you dont have much area to worry about. Pet safe also sells a wireless fence. You dont have to bury any wire. It runs about $270, that is what I have been using for 3 years. It was well worth it. What I like best about it is when we go to lake in the summer, I just bring it along and plug it in there. The dog hears the beep on the collar once and stays clear of the boundry. It took my lab about a total of 1 hours to figure out what was going on the 1st time I plugged it in. But he had been trained on an electric collar since he was about 8 months old.
    Wireless won't work, she needs it to keep them off the fence.

We just bought the Pet Safe brand also. Dogs kept digging around the fence and barking. I installed the wire right on the fence with a insulated staple gun.

Dogs don't go up to the fence anymore. Works great.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Peter

if you are only needing 200 feet of wire, that's not a very big area. I would wonder if the minimum area would be enough.

Another alternative is line of sight trandsducers . This would be transponders that would be at the corners of the yard that detect the cllar on a narrow beam between any two posts

I don't know about New Jersey, but here in CT ( my town at least), If I get a permit to put up a stockade fence in my yard. the most aesthetic side has to face the neighbors and it is theirs to "decorate". In other words, I can't control the side of the fence that faces their property.
    The fence wire could be buried right at the fence.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Wireless won't work, she needs it to keep them off the fence.
    You can adjust the containment area with the wireless so the dogs couldn't even get to the fence. That is the beauty of it, you can adjust the size to what ever you need.